Easy Network Setup Distro for Dreampi I Made

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

semi-analogue
shadow

Easy Network Setup Distro for Dreampi I Made

Post#1 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:33 am

Hey Guys! First post! I was told to come here after telling someone about this on PSO since I initially posted it on reddit. Basically, I have modified the Dreampi image by adding a script that lets you set up the network much easier using a text-based menu system. I donated to Kazade's Paypal as a sign of good gesture since I wasn't able to get in contact with him about setting up this distro. Basically, it's a python script that walks you through setting up the network interfaces if you have wifi or ethernet. I just really did this for myself at first, but realized this might help some other people too. I want to make sure that anybody who wants to get their dreamcast online, can, and without too much hassle. Come download it and tell me what you think!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/netsettings-dreampi/?source=navbar

Edit: New version Just Released!!!! Thanks to Livingonwheels for the modified script!
Last edited by semi-analogue on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiden
Developer

Re: Easy Network Setup Distro for Dreampi I Made

Post#2 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 am

Nice work! And welcome to the community!

livingonwheels
lithium

Post#3 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi, I tried your script but it wasn't working for me with option 3 (WPA). I took a look at your code and wpa_supplicant.conf and I noticed that the config file didn't match the format that I found on https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md. According to that it should look like:

Code: Select all

network={
  ssid="testing"
  #psk="testingPassword"
  psk=131e1e221f6e06e3911a2d11ff2fac9182665c004de85300f9cac208a6a80531
}

But yours looked like:

network={
  ssid="testing"
  wpa="testingPassword"
}

But it's really easy to fix it. All you have to do is type

sudo -i
wpa_passphrase [ssid] [password] >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and you'll be good to go. You can probably call the first half or the second line directly in your script, and it would save you some writes to the file.

Also, you should really consider changing the "username" prompt to say "SSID", because it was confusing before I looked at the script.

But otherwise, good work on the script :) If you want, I can make the changes for you and tidy it up a little bit.

semi-analogue
shadow

Post#4 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 am

livingonwheels wrote:
But otherwise, good work on the script :) If you want, I can make the changes for you and tidy it up a little bit.

If you could modify it, that would be great! If you can, message me the script, so I can put it up on sourceforge as well as update the distro. I really appreciate it. If you message me today, I'll be able to put it up tonight. Tell you the truth, I'm not a good coder and an even worse network and linux guy. So thanks for helping out. I realize my code is spaghetti code, so this really helps. I just hope kazede doesn't mind me modifying his distro. I feel kinda bad, but at least I donated!

livingonwheels
lithium

Post#5 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm working on it now. I'll have it ready sometime tomorrow.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#6 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Nice work!

semi-analogue
shadow

Post#7 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 pm

livingonwheels wrote:I'm working on it now. I'll have it ready sometime tomorrow.

Okay, uploading the new distro now.Thanks for the work Livingonwheels!