Educate me on Phantasy Star Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Retrojaner
dark night

Re: Educate me on Phantasy Star Online

Post#31 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:17 pm

HuntrRose wrote:if anyone comes across a link for the vanilla i would love to know it also

Why not torrent?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#32 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 pm

I will see if I can find out! I do not use torrents because there are rules about seeding and mostly, I feel it is a gateway for "bad things" that can happen to your PC (no, I do understand there will always be "evil" regarding PC health, but I try my best to limit the possibilities, so no hate mail on that, please).

This also means I do not trust the torrent software itself, it opens a "larger" hole in the defense, like the Cleveland Browns.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#33 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Only private trackers have rules about seeding. It is nice if you seed the torrent, because it helps other people to get the game, but it is not required. As for the security of BitTorrent software, use a reputable client, such as Deluge, and you'll be fine. Deluge is open source and therefore definitely doesn't contain malware. The torrent itself only contains CDI files and README files inside 7-Zip archives, so it doesn't have any malware, either. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#34 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Retrojaner wrote:
HuntrRose wrote:if anyone comes across a link for the vanilla i would love to know it also

Why not torrent?

i dont have a client on my current computer and i dont want to put one on it

Im more than comfortable with BT.. Ive downloaded hundreds upon hundreds of torrents.. mostly live music from taper friendly artists..

i dont have a problem with bit torrent at all...

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#35 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Honestly never downloaded a torrent. So I'm no help there.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#36 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:26 am

Ives puts it best, you have to have a trustworthy program to download the bit torrent. I am not concerned about the seeded file, it's the bit torrent program itself that I am concerned with. I might try Deluge.

BTW, I do get the seeding concept to allow someone to download the file, thus file sharing. Briefly did this once in the 1990's...not a good experience and I was on dial-up back then.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#37 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I think uTorrent used to be popular, but its owner sold out and now allows it to be bundled with malware or something. I was always in the Azureus camp, so I never had much experience with uTorrent. Azureus sadly went commercial, too, despite starting out as an open source project.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#38 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Yes, I had "Bit Torrent" and "uTorrent"...back at the dawn of things "internet".
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#39 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 pm

uTorrent v2.2.1 how I roll , before she got all bloated

Build 25130 if it matters

mstar
Doom

Post#40 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:34 am

Don't forget Transmission - free, cross-platform, ..