Line Voltage Inducer

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TheTinWhisker
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: 4x4 Evo, PSO

Line Voltage Inducer

Post by TheTinWhisker »

Hey everyone, got a question.

I finally got a Raspberry Pi 3 and the 56K USB modem on the way. I have all the parts to build the line voltage inducer and was about to begin when I noticed that every phone line I have only contains two wires.
In all the schematics i could find online for the inducer, they show four wires with splicing the red wire. So my question is, can I use the 2 wire phone cable?
Also, does the polarity of the capacitor and resistor matter? Every schematic ive seen looks like it was drawn by a second grader.
megavolt85
Developer

Re: Line Voltage Inducer

Post by megavolt85 »

TheTinWhisker wrote: can I use the 2 wire phone cable?
yep
TheTinWhisker wrote:Also, does the polarity of the capacitor and resistor matter?
observe the polarity when connecting power to the capacitor
TheTinWhisker
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: 4x4 Evo, PSO

Post by TheTinWhisker »

I have seen the polarity in different positions depending on the picture I find on the internet. Also, those pictures dont show which side connects to the Dreamcast. Does anyone have a good schematic?
megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

TheTinWhisker wrote:I have seen the polarity in different positions depending on the picture I find on the internet.
solder the plus of the power source to the plus of the capacitor, and the minus of the power source through a resistor to the minus of the capacitor.
cut one of the two wires of the telephone cable (any one of your choice) and solder one end to the positive of the capacitor and the other to the negative.
TheTinWhisker wrote: Also, those pictures dont show which side connects to the Dreamcast.
it does not matter