PC-DC Dreampi distro for softmodems

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

P3tras
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Worms World Party, Toy Racer, ChuChu Rocket

PC-DC Dreampi distro for softmodems

Post by P3tras »

Hey all,

Spent quite some time trying to get old laptop (with softmodem) working with Dreamcast and finally got it online!

This is an Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31) modified to run DreamPi script. It is NOT a replacement for megavolt85 VM, which is built on slightly newer kernel (2.6.35). Older kernel was needed to get Linuxant Alsa Drivers working (which are needed for HDA soft modem).

So, if you have an old laptop with a soft-modem (Conexant) - give it a try. Voice support is not needed (there's workaround that fakes the dial tone). It has been tested (by me) with Lenovo T60 and there were no problems playing online. If it works for you - please let me know in this thread. Readme file with usage instruction are included on the desktop.

This distro is setup for Conexant HSF softmodem drivers, but it might be called differently on your laptop (many of manufacturers rebranded Conexant chipsets under their own branding)

I have mostly just put together work of other great people, so credits go to:
@Scrivani - for his modified DreamPi script that does not require Voice support.
@megavolt85 - original creator of PC-DC server. His distro acted as a blue-print for building my own.

P.S. This does not support Daytona

DOWNLOAD (Rufus is recommended for building live-USB image)
megavolt85
Developer

Re: PC-DC Dreampi distro for softmodems

Post by megavolt85 »

you had to use my assembly for modification, it has lnuxant drivers
P3tras
shadow

Post by P3tras »

Yep, it does. But I have HDA (HD Audio) modem which requires Linuxant ALSA drivers as well. I couldn't get it working (drivers didn't compile), while there were no issues with an older distro. I found exact same issue in Linuxant mailing list. They said it will be fixed in next release, but next release never happened :)
P3tras
shadow

Post by P3tras »

I have updated and tested my build to support Daytona. Tested, works without issues (besides the usual Daytona connection problems). If anyone is actually using my build, let me know. I will either rebuild the ISO or give update files.