PSO CD-R & Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

redjeff76
Anarki

PSO CD-R & Online

Post by redjeff76 »

Sooooo, Phantasy Star Online is some next level set-up in my eyes. Do you HAVE TO have a store bought version of the game to connect on Sylverant or on this website online? Or can I use my CD-R copy that I have codes for. Should I not use my DreamPi for connecting? I do have a BBA but have not set it up yet. I downloaded a cdi version of the PSO Patcher 2.0, but it seems not to even try and load my CD-R copy. PLUS after all these questions, I am a PSO NOOB. So should I not even get online? My thought is going online would be the best way to build up my characters.
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Re: PSO CD-R & Online

Post by mistamontiel »

https://psopalace.sylverant.net get the torrent save your laser and autoconnect to Sylverant (besides even that a real breakthrough)

Enhanced the EP one would suggest when you get deeper into Ultimate difficulty when break lv100s
lozz
core
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online, Quake III, Starlancer, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool, Sega Swirl.

Post by lozz »

If you are going to play with a burned copy then, as Mista has recommended, your best bet is to visit psopalace and download a copy from there. It's perfectly acceptable to do this and play online with "shared codes" (I.E. a serial number and authentication key that is publicly available online). However, you aren't allowed to register an account on the Sylverant website if you do so. This can only be done if you have codes that you personally own (that came with a retail copy). Playing via DreamPi is absolutely fine - it's how I've been playing for years.
lozz
core
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online, Quake III, Starlancer, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool, Sega Swirl.

Post by lozz »

Oh, and I'd highly recommend reading through this guide. It should answer most of the questions you might have about getting online with PSO http://old-kid.com/pso/
redjeff76
Anarki

Post by redjeff76 »

So you guys are recommending that I play the PC version of PSO and not the Dreamcast version? If so, no that is not what I want. I want the DC version. PSOpalace does not have a downloadable version of the game for PSO in iso/.cdi format. It only has downloadable versions of the game for PC. So if I am understanding correctly. If I wanna play PSO online, I have to have a Store bought version of the game with the original serial number and access codes? It has to be store bought because the Sylverant PSO Loader asks for and apparently checks for a GD-ROM disc. Otherwise I cannot get on Sylverant's server's, correct?
lozz
core

Post by lozz »

No, that's not what we are recommending. The fourth item listed on the 'downloads' page of PSO palace is a zip file containing .CDI files for the Dreamcast.
redjeff76
Anarki

Post by redjeff76 »

Okay, so I scoped that option out and it says I still need the SNAK (serial and access codes) from an original store bought copy of the game for a 1st time player (which is me). That .cdi on PSOpalace will work after that. If I use SNAK codes I find online, Sylverant will ban me for life supposidly. I need to create a Sylverant account to get a guild card. So it sounds like for a NOOB player to PSO you have to have a store bought copy of the game with SNAK codes. Any other ideas anyone?
lozz
core

Post by lozz »

I'd highly recommend that you read old kid's guide that I linked to in an earlier post. That will answer a lot of the questions you have. I assure you, it is fine to play with a shared SNAK. As long as you don't try to register it on the Sylverant website (I.E. you only enter it on the relevant screen on your Dreamcast) then you will not be banned - BlueCrab, the creator and admin of Sylverant has specified that this is the case on numerous occasions, so don't worry. Using your own SNAK from a retail copy does have certain benefits though, and so if you can afford it, then go that route.
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Post by mistamontiel »

old-kid there is a shared SNAK. You're only not allowed to register it but free to play using it
redjeff76
Anarki

Post by redjeff76 »

Yup, but I am in the USA and I still need the PSO Loader to connect to Sylverant. The problem is that the PSO Loader asks you to insert a GDROM (which is a real-store bought DC Disc). The PSO Loader will not read a CD-R. I tried it already. I have read the "Old-Kid" file and it does not address the issue at hand. Everything I have seen so far says that if I am a NOOB to PSO I have to start with a GDROM and real serial number and access codes to connect and register for the 1st time on Sylverant.

I can't play regardless of SNAK unless I can connect to Sylverant and the only way I can do that is to use the PSO Loader which as stated above in this message is what is road blocking me because it will not read (or even acknowledge my CD-R of the game).