DreamPi / DreamPipe Connectivity Issue *RESOLVED*

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Pr3tty F1y
Fancy Pants Admin
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Hopefully more soon...

DreamPi / DreamPipe Connectivity Issue *RESOLVED*

Post by Pr3tty F1y »

I've had a Raspberry Pi 4 running DreamPi 1.8 DLE for several months and while I don't get to use it often, it worked perfect.

Recently I inherited a Raspberry Pi 3 and I figured that I had better uses for the more powerful Pi 4, so I dowloaded/imaged DreamPi 1.8 DLE for the Pi 3 (I understand there are separate images for Pi3 vs Pi4). However, whenever I fire up the Dreamcast Web Browser (regardless of version), while the modem connects - no websites load.

And now this is affecting both the Pi 3 and the Pi 4. Nothing else has changed with my network, so I'm thinking maybe the re-route to DreamPipe is down, but I'm not sure where to check or verify that.

But the Pis are otherwise working fine and the DC sees the connection and connects. It's just that I can't get to any websites. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I did set the IPs for both the Pi 3 and Pi 4 to DMZ in my router and it did not change anything. Pi 3 was connected via ethernet and Pi 4 was connected via WiFi. Still same behavior with both. Also, I didn't need to set DMZ for when the Pi 4 originally worked. It just worked :-\

This is where it gets stuck after the modem connects:
Last edited by Pr3tty F1y on Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Re: DreamPi / DreamPipe Connectivity Issue

Post by Xiden »

Pr3tty F1y wrote:I've had a Raspberry Pi 4 running DreamPi 1.8 DLE for several months and while I don't get to use it often, it worked perfect.

Recently I inherited a Raspberry Pi 3 and I figured that I had better uses for the more powerful Pi 4, so I dowloaded/imaged DreamPi 1.8 DLE for the Pi 3 (I understand there are separate images for Pi3 vs Pi4). However, whenever I fire up the Dreamcast Web Browser (regardless of version), while the modem connects - no websites load.

And now this is affecting both the Pi 3 and the Pi 4. Nothing else has changed with my network, so I'm thinking maybe the re-route to DreamPipe is down, but I'm not sure where to check or verify that.

But the Pis are otherwise working fine and the DC sees the connection and connects. It's just that I can't get to any websites. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I did set the IPs for both the Pi 3 and Pi 4 to DMZ in my router and it did not change anything. Pi 3 was connected via ethernet and Pi 4 was connected via WiFi. Still same behavior with both. Also, I didn't need to set DMZ for when the Pi 4 originally worked. It just worked :-\

This is where it gets stuck after the modem connects:
Are you able to try other browsers to see if they work like web bowser 2.0? I know a backup dns was added to 1.8 so it could be that domain wasnt added into the backup dns. But id like to rule out a configuration issue on your end first.
Pr3tty F1y
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by Pr3tty F1y »

Xiden wrote:Are you able to try other browsers to see if they work like web bowser 2.0? I know a backup dns was added to 1.8 so it could be that domain wasnt added into the backup dns. But id like to rule out a configuration issue on your end first.
Both Web Browser 2.0 (without SEGANet) and 2.62 stall out with a spinning cursor as well.

I also tried DreamShell 4.0 as I figured it may have a utility that could prove useful in troubleshooting, but launching the Dial-Up option brings up the console where I get a PPP connection could not be established error message. I didn't see where it was asking for a phone number, so I'm guessing that is a likely problem. I was just figuring if I could get the DC connected to the Pi, if I could use some sort of ping command, I could at least figure out if traffic was making it out of the Pi.

At some point yesterday, I did manually stop and then manually re-started the DreamPi service on the Pi and I believe the message on the Pi post-modem handshake commands was that it launched "DCNow". So things are definitely happening on the Pi end. And powering off the Pi after the DC has connected to it yields an immediate error message on the DC that it lost the internet connection. So I'm thinking that the modem connectivity functionality is fine
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

It sounds like you have an IP address conflict. Your Pi or another device on your network is using the .98 IP address that the Dreamcast uses so the Dreamcast will be able to dial but won't be able to access the internet.

Also, never DMZ your Pi! Only the Dreamcast IP should be in DMZ.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live
Pr3tty F1y
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by Pr3tty F1y »

pcwzrd13 wrote:It sounds like you have an IP address conflict. Your Pi or another device on your network is using the .98 IP address that the Dreamcast uses so the Dreamcast will be able to dial but won't be able to access the internet.

Also, never DMZ your Pi! Only the Dreamcast IP should be in DMZ.
Thank you very much re: both issues. Your assessment was 100% correct and I'll be sure to only set DMZ to that .98 IP.

So the issue is resolved, the Pi 3 lives on as my DreamPi box, and everything is good. Thank you again!