Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Post#741 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:53 pm

That is... quite strange. I'll look into it when I get home, but there shouldn't be anything that would cause such a problem on the server.

Perhaps your disc is dusty/scratched? Perhaps your Dreamcast's laser needs a bit of cleaning?

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#742 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:11 am

Is it still a known issue that it often takes about 3/4 attempts to connect via Dreamcast BBA on pso ver2 pal? It sometimes goes in straight away but every now and then I have to try a handful of times
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#743 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm

It shouldn't take multiple attempts. That sounds like there might be something fishy with your network at home, or with how you have things configured.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#744 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 pm

If you're connecting using a PAL Dreamcast from the UK and setting DNS 1 to the IP address of sylverant.net, that would explain why you can't always connect. PSO is very picky about how quickly the DNS server responds and the number of hops it takes to reach it, so if you're trying to connect to sylverant.net as your DNS server from across the Atlantic, PSO will likely time out sometimes. You would be able to connect more reliably if you used BlueCrab's loader to patch the game to sylverant.net and then used the DNS server provided by your local UK ISP. Alternatively, you could run a DNS server on your own PC and then set DNS 1 in the BBA configuration to the LAN IP address of your PC, which would make for only two hops between the DC and DNS 1 (your home router -> PC), which would also make PSO happy.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#745 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Hmm maybe it is a networking things since i'm sharing my PC Connection with my Dreamcast, I ill have to wireshark it again i guess
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

DreamcastHaven
undertow

Post#746 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:45 am

Hey, I managed to pick up PSO ver.2 with DreamKey 3.0 for 4$ but I don't know if i need a BBA adaptor or I can use a modem? Also I never used a modem before so what do I have to do to get online with Dreamcast?

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#747 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:27 pm

DreamcastHaven wrote:Hey, I managed to pick up PSO ver.2 with DreamKey 3.0 for 4$ but I don't know if i need a BBA adaptor or I can use a modem? Also I never used a modem before so what do I have to do to get online with Dreamcast?
Well, that's not really a bug report there. ;)

If you look around this forum, there's instructions of how to get things working with the modem. You'll need to do a bit of setup work on your PC (and have a compatible modem on your PC) to do things that way though.

legit nyck
lithium

Post#748 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Vega Ship Down :geek:
PSO Info:
Characters: ( legit nyck - lvl evolutiong character Ramar )

SpaceBooger
noob

Post#749 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:55 pm

I was on the Vega ship twice and tried to do the first quest (PSO v1 Heat Sword) and after completing the quest the guy thanked me and then I was sent back to the main lobby asking me to join a ship. Neither time I beat the quest did it register (still have XP and items) and was still on the quest list and I had no access to the Caves for grinding.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#750 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Online quests have no unlocking functionality. You have to play offline if you want to unlock the story quests, and you have to beat the Dragon in freeplay if you want to unlock freeplay Cave 1. Beating the bosses offline unlocks the areas permanently, while beating the bosses online unlocks the areas until you make a new team.
"Fear the HUnewearl."