Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: I Love Playing all dreamcast games.
But im pretty boss at:
MvC2, Etc

Re: Reporting bugs with the PSO server

Post by MikeStutzzzz »

Favrenation wrote:Putting passwords on a game and making people ask for the password will let people know who is joining so some people can go back out to the lobby etc.

lol i hoped that would work :shock:
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482
Radkin
PSOaholic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Q3A, 4x4 & Maximum Pool

Post by Radkin »

MikeStutzzzz wrote:
Favrenation wrote:Putting passwords on a game and making people ask for the password will let people know who is joining so some people can go back out to the lobby etc.

lol i hoped that would work :shock:

It has so far, thankfully.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube
BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

Radkin wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:(It'd be nice if this could get stickied or something so people notice it).

Done deal! ;)

Thanks!
Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

Blue Crab how can V1 cause FSOD? I thought you couldn't even play that because hunter license server is down.
PS2 Online Gaming
Radkin
PSOaholic

Post by Radkin »

I play V2, I still cause people to FSOD sometimes.

I've been on and off for most of the day and there were a couple of times that I was unable to log back on. Lust and Cathy still were able to remain on the server however.
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube
BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

Favrenation wrote:Blue Crab how can V1 cause FSOD? I thought you couldn't even play that because hunter license server is down.

V1 US works just fine. In fact, that's what I initially used for testing when writing the server in the first place. V1 was all that was supported for about the first two months that I was writing it as a non-Blue Burst server (since Sylverant originally started as a "port" of the Tethealla Blue Burst-only server to *nix).

Radkin wrote:I've been on and off for most of the day and there were a couple of times that I was unable to log back on. Lust and Cathy still were able to remain on the server however.
Where was it not letting you on from? Before the ship select, after you picked the ship, or after you picked the block?
Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

Doc said on another topic that he joined a game and kicked everybody but him and he is on DC.
PS2 Online Gaming
Radkin
PSOaholic

Post by Radkin »

BlueCrab wrote:
Radkin wrote:I've been on and off for most of the day and there were a couple of times that I was unable to log back on. Lust and Cathy still were able to remain on the server however.
Where was it not letting you on from? Before the ship select, after you picked the ship, or after you picked the block?

Before Ship select. I would constantly get "the DHCP failed to connect" error.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2326&p=21975#p21975
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube
BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

Radkin wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:

Before Ship select. I would constantly get "the DHCP failed to connect" error.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2326&p=21975#p21975

DHCP and DNS errors aren't problems with the actual server software. DHCP problems are most likely some kind of misconfiguration in your home network.
BlueCrab
Developer

Post by BlueCrab »

BlueCrab wrote:
grolt wrote:Yesterday, four of us were playing a guild mission and then midway through someone had to leave. When he left it caused the rest of our games to go out of sync. While we could still see each other, each person basically played their own game, because enemies would be in different locations for each player, and during the final boss fight, it would show on one screen that the boss was dead, but for the other two players we had to still keep fighting it until we killed it ourselves. Then, at the very end of the final boss fight (Dark Falz) we all got booted and lost some loot. It was pretty weird. We also had a crash that was triggered by a PC player joining our team, I believe. Can't remember the details of that now.
This is an odd one (not the part about crashing with a PC player... that I need to research more), and I'm not entirely sure how to explain what's going on with it, although I've seen something similar for the first time in my testing tonight. Basically, what I saw happen is that if I had a DCv1, DCv2, and PC in one game, and the DCv2 left, neither the DCv1 or PC client would send any more packets to the server.

To make matters more odd on this one, the PC player could still see the DCv1 player move around, but the DCv1 player couldn't see the PC player moving. It doesn't make any sense to me why that would happen, since I'd expect what you stated earlier to happen (where everyone is in their own little world).

PSO really does some odd things sometimes...
So, I know I fixed at least the part where clients would essentially stop sending packets to the server, and I suspect that it might have fixed the rest of it. That change went into my code at r157, so once the server here gets updated to that version, hopefully this won't be an issue anymore.

I still haven't managed to recreate any FSODs on my test server, so no update on that bug...

Random sidenote, but to anyone who wants to stay up-to-date with what I'm fixing in the code and stuff, I have a twitter where I post any time I make an interesting update to the server code, you can find that here: http://twitter.com/ljsdcdev

Also, the Sylverant Google Code project has an Atom feed that automatically gets updated when I modify the code: http://code.google.com/feeds/p/sylveran ... nges/basic