How to connect to Quake 3 server? (for dummies)

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

How to connect to Quake 3 server? (for dummies)

Post#1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:40 am

I have a BBA connected to my router which is then connected to my modem.

In XDP I configured my IP, subnet mask, DNS etc using the info from /configip

I can use XDP to connect to websites and I can connect to PSO using the Sylverant auto connect disc.

BUTTTT I can't connect to Quake 3 or Toy Racer. I'm honestly not sure what to do for Q3 - back in the day I used to leave all the fields blank and the master list would pop up, but not anymore.

What information do I need to enter/adjust to connect online? On the list of servers on this site (http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/q3master.php) I can see the addresses, for example 193.218.154.229:27963, but I'm not sure where to enter this information. If I try to enter it as IP and or DNS I'm unable to enter the ':27963' part.

Can someone please explain to a dummie how to do this? :)
aka DavidHK on DC games.

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Re: How to connect to Quake 3 server? (for dummies)

Post#2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:31 am

To get our Quake 3 master list to show up in-game you will need to set your primary DNS in Quake 3 to our server IP address. It is currently 173.69.38.20.
Regards,
brourke228

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#3 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:29 am

brourke228 wrote:To get our Quake 3 master list to show up in-game you will need to set your primary DNS in Quake 3 to our server IP address. It is currently 173.69.38.20.

Okay great, should I just leave the other things as 0.0.0.0?

Edit - tried entering the DNS and leaving the other fields as 0.0.0.0 but no luck. It dailed and said it was connected but when it was 'scanning internet' nothing was found. Damn. Any ideas? :)
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Good news, that means you are connected, and you are most likely seeing the "Master Server Not Found" message. At this point, you just have to select the option at the bottom right (the "More" button), then enter the IP addy and the port. From there, select the bottom right button again (I believe it is the "Info" button).

You should be good from there. Looking forward to seeing you online.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#5 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:00 pm

I am having the same exact problem that dave_van_damn had. It connects, says master list not found, and I've tried inputting all the ip's from the master list under the "more" tab but nothing works!

I've tried all the suggestions that you've made Bob but I still can't get it to work. I watched pcwzrd's video on how to configure the BBA and followed the instructions per the video but I still cant get the master list to show up!

I would greatly appreciate any help because fragging Friday is tomorrow and I want to actually play!!!!!!!!!

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:03 am

Ive had the same issues for quite awhile. PSO works fine, but I can never connect to a quake 3 server. I connect and try manually inputting server IPs with no luck...

Sent from my SCL21 using Tapatalk

numb
noob

Post#7 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:15 pm

I am currently having this issue. I use a PC-DC server and when I try to directly connect to the servers it does not work. I am using a PC-DC server with the raspberry pi. Not dream pi.

numb
noob

Post#8 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:55 pm

I was thinking about my pi pc-dc server last night. My issue maybe caused by using wifi and not Ethernet. I will post more if I figure it out.

LucidSegaDreams
rebel

Post#9 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:06 am

Any luck on a fix for this? Having same issue getting my bba to show the server lists. DreamPi/dial up works no problem with this game...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:08 am

LucidSegaDreams wrote:Any luck on a fix for this? Having same issue getting my bba to show the server lists. DreamPi/dial up works no problem with this game...

What are you using for your DNS server?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live