connecting Pso Ver 1

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

connecting Pso Ver 1

Post#1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 pm

My copy of pso ver 1 is broken so im tying a burnt copy and no matter what settings on which browser i use it keep saying please put in internet settings. does anyone have a solution to use a burned copy as auto connect version of pso ver 2 freeze when playing online. i have bba, dial up and pc -dc server.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: connecting Pso Ver 1

Post#2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm pretty sure ives made a new version recently that fixed that. But im not certain of that. You can PM him and ask. Or buy the game new for >$15 and register on sylverant to participate in events and backup your data as needed + make it easier on your laser
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#3 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:55 am

Yes, the new Ver.2 disc doesn't freeze.

dan1234 wrote:Or buy the game new for >$15 and register on sylverant to participate in events and backup your data as needed + make it easier on your laser

Using a fast loading CD-R of Ver.2 is better for your DC than using a GD-ROM. The official sort order is terrible.

As for connecting, you must configure a fake modem ISP with a browser in order to play online, even if you're using a BBA. You also must set up the BBA with something like USv2 in order for Ver.1 to use it; if the BBA hasn't been set up yet, Ver.1 says that the BBA isn't supported, even though it is.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#4 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:56 am

Hey Ives! Do you have any link to download this version?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#5 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:04 pm

"Fear the HUnewearl."

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#6 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Thank you! :)

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#7 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks Ives :) lasers are my biggest concern (though id do my best to use real disks) did not know that the new release is better than the gd rom version.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#8 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:48 pm

All lasers wear out eventually, and the type of disc you use does not influence the speed at which your laser degrades. The only problem with CD-Rs is that because they are about 20% less reflective than pressed discs, as your laser weakens, eventually your laser will pass the point where it can't read a CD-R anymore, but it will still be able to read a GD-ROM, because the GD-ROM is shinier. If you keep using the laser, though, eventually it'll get so weak that it won't be able to read GD-ROMs, either. At that point you'll be forced to adjust the laser to increase its strength, which will cause it to burn out sooner. If the system can't read any discs without the adjustment, though, then you might as well do it, since the system is already useless if it can't read any discs.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:09 am

thanks I've got 3 dreamcasts (all work) so that's what i ment

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#10 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:49 am

In the case of PSO, the problem is that Sega sorted the disc's contents alphabetically, so you'll hear the DC make horrible grinding noises as the entire laser assembly moves back and forth to load files. My disc is sorted with related files next to each other and with important files on the outside of the disc, so you'll instead hear a dainty noise coming from your DC as it loads character data, rather than a horribe grinding noise. This not only speeds up the loading, but it saves wear and tear on the laser assembly motor. ;)

Amusingly, alphabetical sort orders are why people tell you to avoid early rips of DC games, because they are sorted that way, rather than using the official sort order of the GD-ROM. The GD-ROM sort order for PSO Ver.2 is just as bad as an early DC rip... lol. We had to make our own optimised sort order to fix Sega's mistake.
"Fear the HUnewearl."