Unreal Tournament

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

WWEDX2007
shadow

Unreal Tournament

Post#1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:50 am

New to this community, would like to ask about Unreal Tournament on the Dreamcast, does anyone have memories of playing online on SegaNet? Would it ever be possible to bring the game back online? The 2 exclusive maps are also interesting.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Re: Unreal Tournament

Post#2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Never played it online. Played the shite out of it split screen with my homies though. There were some guys trying to get it back online a few years ago but it never materialized. I did a google search a few months ago and I think the newest action on it was in 2011. Sorry.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Hit the Introductions AO and say Hi.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

Impulse
Admin

Post#3 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:34 am

Welcome! I was lucky enough to play it online for a few months. It was very fun as you'd expect. However at the time there were plenty of people using action replay or whatever to hack. But finding a legit game was awesome. Especially at the time it was probably one of the best fps games online.

The topic of UT for DC has been discussed extensively and even tested by many. So far it has not proven possible. If you search her eon the forum you'll find a few topics. Or even scroll to the bottom of this one for similar topics ;)
-Impulse

petter3k
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:48 pm

As Impulse already mentioned in his reply above, extensive effort has been done to try to make the UTPC servers work with the DC.

However, this is not possible (and confirmed by lead developer Josh Adams), and without the source code and/or server binaries, this game will not be online again.

However, I am in dialogue with the some of the guys from the development team which may have a backup somewhere. Dont worry, if it ever gets to this, an announcement will be made.
No need for more threads about this topic.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.

WWEDX2007
shadow

Post#5 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:32 am

petter3k wrote:As Impulse already mentioned in his reply above, extensive effort has been done to try to make the UTPC servers work with the DC.

However, this is not possible (and confirmed by lead developer Josh Adams), and without the source code and/or server binaries, this game will not be online again.

However, I am in dialogue with the some of the guys from the development team which may have a backup somewhere. Dont worry, if it ever gets to this, an announcement will be made.
No need for more threads about this topic.

What exactly could be done if a backup ever surfaces?

petter3k
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:05 am

If a backup of the servers surfaces, it can be used to host the game online again.
The guys who formerly worked at Secret Level have been very kind so far, but yet not luck in finding the backups (even searching through tape backups at Epic), and I feel confident that we would be able to (legally) use the servers again if it ever comes to this.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#7 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 am

I hope they find something ...

Petter3k : Keep the great work my friend! :D