unreal tournament

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Charlton
Anarki

unreal tournament

Post#1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:54 am

was unreal tournament online for dreamcast? and if so is there any plans to bring it back?

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: unreal tournament

Post#2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:54 am

Unreal Tournament was online capable between release to around June of 2003. According to dcserv.org the project has been put on hold. It has been discovered that it would be more of a challenge to find a way to get the game back online than it really has to shown in the passage below.

So, UTDC was done at Secret Level… Epic wasn’t involved in the code or anything. In other words, it is not expected to be compatible with normal UT99 PC builds.

I can’t actually remember how the dedicated servers worked – or if we actually had any :)

I would have gotten the server running at Secret Level, and Sega would have been running them.

Now that I’m at Epic, I’ll see if I can hunt down any source code (it’s possible I sent it all over to Epic back in the day).
ENTRY.DAT… The way we shipped the data on UTDC is not in any useful way that you would ever be able to get it back. All the bytes are reordered to be the exact order randomly read from 100 files, so that the disc never needs to seek when loading a level. It’s nothing like the loose files you would see in a PC build…
Without the source content and code, I don’t think you will ever have luck here :(

Other than that, I really hope that one day this can become a reality. Until then, we just have to wait to see where this is heading.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

petter3k
Developer

Re: unreal tournament

Post#3 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:30 am

That pretty much sums it all up. Great post.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.