Favorite Online Dreamcast Game?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Favorite Online Dreamcast Game?

Post#1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:27 pm

I think everyone will agree that the two most popular online Dreamcast games are PSO and Quake III Arena but I'm curious how the others stack up. I made a poll on Dreamcast Live to find out. You can vote here. I figured I'd make this thread in case anyone wants to go into more detail on which game they like best. Personally I'm a big fan of Maximum Pool. The variety of game modes (ROCKET BALL! :D ) keeps things fresh and it's just a really fun game overall. Second place goes to 4x4 Evolution. While the actual racing could be better if it wasn't for the floaty controls, the variety of tracks and the ability to change the weather and time of day is great and keep it from getting too repetitive. Let me know your thoughts!
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Re: Favorite Online Dreamcast Game

Post#2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Q3A and PSO definitely.

I haven't played the others yet, but i did have fun with 4x4 online back in the day.
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Favorite Online Dreamcast Game

Post#3 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:26 pm

ch0pzta wrote:I haven't played the others yet

Well what are you waiting for? ;)
PSO Characters:

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Re: Favorite Online Dreamcast Game?

Post#4 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 pm

Back in the Day I would have said Q3A in a heartbeat! I am a huge fan and own it for PC and PS2 as well as DC. I have played it more than any other game by far and it was what originally got me into the Dreamcast by pure curiosity on how it played on the little white box.

Not only that but it also got me into computers and technology in general by wanting to upgrade my machine to play it more competitively. I can't say any other game has had more of an impact on my life than Q3 and I have always loved the whole ID software lineup starting back since Wolfenstein 3D.

That was along time ago. These days I enjoy playing Phantasy Star Online much more. Could be that coop multiplayer adds a sense of accomplishment when dungeon crawling to victory, rather than competing. Could be the replay ability or the fact that there is more online activity in the PSO world nowadays in comparison. I just find the whole atmosphere to be more enjoyable in general. So my vote goes to PSO.

I have not yet played the others online either accept for Toy Racer and Planet Ring. Hopefully Toy Racer gets dial up compatibility running soon because I enjoyed it. Just needs more active player action. I am going to purchase the others eventually. Until then, see you on PSO!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:51 pm

-drez01- wrote:Hopefully Toy Racer gets dial up compatibility running soon because I enjoyed it. Just needs more active player action.

It's coming very soon! Luke has made a ton of progress recently.

He just did a successful test today:

Twitter5f1717e.jpg
PSO Characters:

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Post#6 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:51 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:[quote="ch0pzta"]
I haven't played the others yet

Well what are you waiting for? ;)[/quote]

Playing them would detract from PSO and Q3 time!
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#7 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm terrible, I've never played any game online on my DC. When I get my Youtube money this month I think I'm gonna get a Raspberry Pi.

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#8 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:23 pm

I've still yet to try Starlancer, Planet Ring, and 4x4 due to server/connection difficulties. So I do not think I can give a fair vote

But for Dreampipe, I'd have to say Planetweb 2.6 8-)

lastcallgames wrote:I'm terrible, I've never played any game online on my DC. When I get my Youtube money this month I think I'm gonna get a Raspberry Pi.

Imo, it would be really cool to see you online, but imo because the Pi3 was just announced I'd keep bargain shopping on eBay for a cheap Pi2
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net