[Solved] Having issues connecting to the 4x4 master list on DreamPi?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Having issues connecting to the 4x4 master list on DreamPi?

Post#11 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:13 pm

namine207 wrote:Ok! :) Does the DreamPi create logs that might help me identify what the issue is?

You could monitor the connection with a packet analyzer like Wireshark to see what's going on. The easiest way to do this would be to connect the Pi to a PC's Ethernet port, connect the PC to the internet via Wi-Fi, and bridge the connection. Then just monitor the Ethernet connection with Wireshark and look for the DNS request.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

namine207
core

Post#12 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Man... Just burned and tested Starlancer and it says it can't connect to the gamespy server either. I think I'll try the wireshark method at this point. XD

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#13 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:47 pm

namine207 wrote:Man... Just burned and tested Starlancer and it says it can't connect to the gamespy server either. I think I'll try the wireshark method at this point. XD

Hmmm, it's definitely some sort of DNS issue then.
PSO Characters:

namine207
core

Post#14 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:49 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
namine207 wrote:Man... Just burned and tested Starlancer and it says it can't connect to the gamespy server either. I think I'll try the wireshark method at this point. XD

Hmmm, it's definitely some sort of DNS issue then.

Now, the one thing is that I did set my network settings using XDP instead of Planetweb, and previously I had settings created by planetweb. So maybe I should burn another copy of Planetweb and change the settings that way.

Btw, do you know if there's a way to play Planet Ring online without the retail disk? I purchased one a while back and even played it online during one of the DC online nights, but I've changed houses 4 times in the past year and it looks like it got lost during the move(s). :\

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#15 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:56 pm

namine207 wrote:Now, the one thing is that I did set my network settings using XDP instead of Planetweb, and previously I had settings created by planetweb. So maybe I should burn another copy of Planetweb and change the settings that way.

Shouldn't make any difference. The settings are all written to the same place in the Dreamcast's internal memory regardless of which browser you use. I use XDP myself.

namine207 wrote:Btw, do you know if there's a way to play Planet Ring online without the retail disk?

There used to be an auto-connect disc at The ISO Zone but it's been taken down. Not sure why. For now it looks like you'll need a retail disc.
PSO Characters:

namine207
core

Post#16 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:59 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
namine207 wrote:Now, the one thing is that I did set my network settings using XDP instead of Planetweb, and previously I had settings created by planetweb. So maybe I should burn another copy of Planetweb and change the settings that way.

Shouldn't make any difference. The settings are all written to the same place in the Dreamcast's internal memory regardless of which browser you use. I use XDP myself.

namine207 wrote:Btw, do you know if there's a way to play Planet Ring online without the retail disk?

There used to be an auto-connect disc at The ISO Zone but it's been taken down. Not sure why. For now it looks like you'll need a retail disc.

Yeah, you're most likely right there. XD It looks like my XDP settings carried over into other games like PSO and Toy Racer just fine, it's just so odd... Maybe I should make sure it's the right numbers and everything, even though I'm almost 100% sure that it is, but it never hurts to check.

And maybe I should make a post asking if anyone still has it and would be willing to upload and share it with me over on IsoZone, just to see if I can't still get ahold of it. :) Thank you so much!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#17 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:04 pm

namine207 wrote:Yeah, you're most likely right there. XD It looks like my XDP settings carried over into other games like PSO and Toy Racer just fine, it's just so odd... Maybe I should make sure it's the right numbers and everything, even though I'm almost 100% sure that it is, but it never hurts to check.

I should note that the DNS server you put in the browser settings will likely be ignored. The DreamPi automatically sends DNS requests to the default DreamPi DNS. The only way to change this is by editing the DNS in the dnsmasq.conf file on the Pi. I wouldn't recommend changing it anyway since it's the best one to use. Wireshark will tell you what DNS server the Dreamcast is trying to communicate with and what the response is (if any).
PSO Characters:

namine207
core

Post#18 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:30 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
namine207 wrote:Yeah, you're most likely right there. XD It looks like my XDP settings carried over into other games like PSO and Toy Racer just fine, it's just so odd... Maybe I should make sure it's the right numbers and everything, even though I'm almost 100% sure that it is, but it never hurts to check.

I should note that the DNS server you put in the browser settings will likely be ignored. The DreamPi automatically sends DNS requests to the default DreamPi DNS. The only way to change this is by editing the DNS in the dnsmasq.conf file on the Pi. I wouldn't recommend changing it anyway since it's the best one to use. Wireshark will tell you what DNS server the Dreamcast is trying to communicate with and what the response is (if any).

Definitely makes sense, I'm setting up the Wireshark setup now and will report as soon as I have some logs!

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#19 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:44 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:

The reason why it isn't on the site anymore is because they suffered a massive server side failure last year which they ended up losing 3 years of progress. Anything on that site before July of 2011 survived the crash.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

namine207
core

Post#20 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Finally got some packet captures! Not quite sure how to read them though:

https://mega.nz/#!Ip5XBbDK!S315Qeul-B4G ... SUx8MU0S7A