[Help] DreamPi2 for Arch Linux?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ABOhiccups
rebel

[Help] DreamPi2 for Arch Linux?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:29 am

Hello,
I bought Line Voltage Inducer from pcwzrd13. Thank you, pcwzrd13!

Before it's showing up at my house. I'm going to setup PC-DC Server with DreamPi2 on my PC.

I'm using Manjaro (based of Arch Linux). I follow this Tutorial and I'm little lost.

I try to install mgetty from AUR Repository and it failed. I did edit PKGBUILD by change Source Link and it failed too. I decide continue without mgetty onto I stop at this command.

Code: Select all

sudo useradd -G dialout,dip,users -c "Dreamcast user" -d /home/dream -g users -s /usr/sbin/pppd dream

Can anyone make a Tutorial for Arch Linux Users? So, I can follow a Tutorial without getting lost.

Can anyone get mgetty to work for Arch Linux to download without failing?

Please, with me know.

Thank you!

kazade
Developer

Re: [Help] DreamPi2 for Arch Linux?

Post#2 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 am

Hi, first I'd just like to clarify that Dreampi2 is not related in any way to the DreamPi that I developed. I requested that the video submitter changed the name but apparently that didn't happen :(

Either way, I'd recommend that you not run either dreampi or dreampi2 on any PC that you actually use for day-to-day things, simply because the dreampi process has to run as root and that's pretty dangerous (when it's running on a Raspberry Pi as an appliance that's less of an issue).

If you really want to use something on a PC, I can perhaps come up with instructions on how to get the dreampi software to run on a Linux distribution, but I can't recommend enough that you acquire a raspberry pi from somewhere :)

Petri152
undertow

Post#3 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:00 am

I'd like to apologize to some people. Firstly Kazade because I still haven't changed the name of the program, mainly because I thought it would just die then and there but it keeps coming back to haunt me. Secondly, ABOhiccups because honestly, I'm way too busy to be helpful at all, it was just a script I made because I was way too impatient in college to wait for Kazade to release DreamPi. I do have a top secret project in the works but it's not for Linux so it won't be much help to you, sorry.
PSO ver.2 Dreamcast - Petri - Lv. 31 HUmar

Petri152
undertow

Post#4 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 am

kazade wrote:Either way, I'd recommend that you not run either dreampi or dreampi2 on any PC that you actually use for day-to-day things, simply because the dreampi process has to run as root and that's pretty dangerous (when it's running on a Raspberry Pi as an appliance that's less of an issue).

Also, if my script buggers up anyone's computer, I'll eat my hat, it's 100% safe, I guarantee it.
PSO ver.2 Dreamcast - Petri - Lv. 31 HUmar

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 am

Petri152 wrote:I'd like to apologize to some people. Firstly Kazade because I still haven't changed the name of the program, mainly because I thought it would just die then and there but it keeps coming back to haunt me. Secondly, ABOhiccups because honestly, I'm way too busy to be helpful at all, it was just a script I made because I was way too impatient in college to wait for Kazade to release DreamPi. I do have a top secret project in the works but it's not for Linux so it won't be much help to you, sorry.

Top Secret project for Dreamcast? :)

kazade
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:34 am

Petri152 wrote:I'd like to apologize to some people. Firstly Kazade because I still haven't changed the name of the program, mainly because I thought it would just die then and there but it keeps coming back to haunt me. Secondly, ABOhiccups because honestly, I'm way too busy to be helpful at all, it was just a script I made because I was way too impatient in college to wait for Kazade to release DreamPi. I do have a top secret project in the works but it's not for Linux so it won't be much help to you, sorry.

Honestly, no need to apologise, I just wanted to clarify that the two are different things :)