noob help configuring/connecting PW3.0 or PSOv2

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

xatruio
shadow

noob help configuring/connecting PW3.0 or PSOv2

Post#1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:53 am

Every time i put in the numbers for a static IP BBA setup in my planetweb 3.0 browser disc, whenever i click connect or search, etc. to test the setup, I get an error message saying along the lines of, "Could not contact to host.....[additional sentence here]"

also, when going to WEBSITE menu in PSOv2, it doesnt send to a BBA config screen, but only says I have no ISP information, press any button.

Please help. Don't know how many years I've never figured out how to play Dreamcast online amd now I'm finally done giving up.

Much thanks in advance. Just FYI, i keep DHCP and proxy setting blank, but fill in the IP address (only the last is different such as ###.###.#.8, for example), subnet, Primary DNS (using sylverant's) and my own secondary DNS

After searching here, my problem seemed somewhat unique, but merge into another thread if need be. Thank you again!

ch0pzta
GD-ROM

Re: noob help configuring/connecting PW3.0 or PSOv2

Post#2 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:04 am

Just use the Sylverant patcher disc to get PSO online
Current online Dreamcast games:
Quake 3 Arena - -ch0pzta>
Phantasy Star Online (Version 2) - ch0pzta - HUmar - YELLOWBOZE Lv60-odd

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#3 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:27 am

With PSO, you're going to have to configure dialup internet information before you try to configure the BBA. Sega did something very stupid in regard to the ISP information, and requires dialup to be configured, even if it's all fake information. I think you have to configure at least a username, password, and primary phone number for the dialup connection with some browser that supports it (just put a single 1 in each of those, as the information doesn't matter) -- then you should be able to configure PSOv2 with the Website option in the game.

Also, as ch0pzta says, you should really use my PSO Patcher disc instead of using the Sylverant IP as a DNS. The PSO Patcher will work with any region/version of PSO, whereas the DNS trick only works with US/European v1 and European v2. Plus, the PSO Patcher fixes a bug in the game too, which allows at least one quest to work properly in all difficulties that wouldn't otherwise work. ;-)

Of course, the PSO Patcher disc wouldn't have fixed the ISP configuration problem in the first place, but it will fix the fact that you can't do much of anything but play PSO if you use the Sylverant DNS (it only responds to PSO-related DNS queries -- not any for anything else).

xatruio
shadow

Post#4 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Yeah, eventually i'll do the patcher disc, but im also a noob at burning games. Thanks for the dialup info! Good point about the PSO DNS queries. Even my dumb-ass realized it'd complicate trying to get Quake 3 online. I'll just use my own DNS, then add the old codebreaker code for now.
Last edited by xatruio on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 pm

xatruio wrote:I'll just use my own DNS

I recommend using 46.101.91.123 as your DNS server. It's the DreamPi DNS server which is the most up-to-date for Dreamcast games. Also, the "cannot find host" errors are common with the web browser. The default home page and search engine no longer exist so you'll get that error if you try and access them. You'll also get that error for a lot of other modern web pages because the browser just can't handle them.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

xatruio
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks for the tip! Definitely will use the dreampi dns, totally forgot about that. Like when i reluctantly look at a game walkthru only to realize i already knew the answer but failed to try haha. When i do eventually get a new drive (my current is dead, hence also not even being able to try making a bunch of CD coasters for my coffee table), i'll probably get XDP (assuming i can't access DreamPipe etc on the old PW3 browser) along with the sylverant patch and i think httpd-ack for a possible GDemu experiment. My DC was purchase brand new and ive always taken great care of the drive--crossing my fingers i don't jinx the laser haha

EDIT

got to the BBA config in PSOv2 thru the website menu. Setup, got lucky and found my version of PSO still shrink wrapped locally one day a few year back, so my keys are legit. Hung up on the teleport loading screen then when i pressed a button the lobby showed up, but there was an error message saying to try again later on account of a disconnect. Might just have been the codebreaker codes were working because i entered them before setting up the BBA? Trying again now real quick...

xatruio
shadow

Post#7 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:41 pm

sorry for the double post I AM OFFICIALLY FINALLY ONLINE FOR THE FIRST TIME. Been a longtime Dreamcaster. Former casual member of Dreamcast-History as well as Dreamcast-Scene before Max started redspotgames. Various crap got in my way for so many years. Now on a Iselia ship apparently with one other person, but cannot find them. Thanks a bunch so much everyone who helped.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#8 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:22 pm

congrats! it's a great feeling isn't it?

xatruio
shadow

Post#9 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Greatest feeling!! Similar to any other time I have finally figured out an annoying network issue. Love computers and I am decently knowledgeable at both software and hardware stuff, but networking always gets me. Feel so proud and smart, plus the huge weight of Dreamcast love on top haha

Level 24 HUcast, not sure how much i'll be joining quests online,but definitely about to enjoying DLC quests for offline. Classic solitary dungeon crawling...!

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#10 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:37 pm

im still only lvl 5.. so Ive got plenty of time to figure it out before Im ready to play online.. :lol: