Orange Pi instead of Raspberry Pi?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Orange Pi instead of Raspberry Pi?

Post#1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:08 am

Has anyone tried using an Orange Pi to build a dreampi? they are cheaper than raspberry pis. The down side is that you cannot use raspberry pis raspbian on the orange pi, so one would need to create a new dreampi build just for it. This could cut the cost of a dreampi down by $10 to $20 bucks depending on which pi you buy.

here is a orange pi on amazon for $16.99
https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Pi-Projec ... orrange+pi

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Orange Pi instead of Raspberry Pi?

Post#2 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:09 am

I've thought of trying it before but I've always found it more expensive. I've found several Raspberry Pis for around $20 with a case, SD card, and power supply. An Orange Pi kit with all of that costs over $30. Granted the Pi bundles I've gotten for the $20 price point are usually the old model B or B+ but it really doesn't make much of a difference if you're just using it as a DreamPi.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:32 am

My model 2b cost me 25 bucks without a case or psu. I also did not get a sd card so it cost me around $40 for everything. that Orange Pi that I linked to claims to outclasses the Raspberry Pi 2 while rivaling the Raspberry Pi 3. I do not know if they have a cheaper model or not, but for the pi 2 you will be lucky to get just the pi for $20 or so.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:39 am

Yeah but like I said, if you're just going to use it as a DreamPi, there's really not much of a benefit getting anything better than a Pi B or B+. I've used both and the only difference is a few seconds faster boot time.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:34 am

You might not get a boost using the better pi. I just tried to find a raspberry pi model b and amazons cheapest one is $18 plus $4.99 for shipping. The cheapest orange pi I could find is on ebay for $16.99 free shipping. So even though you might not get a huge benefit from faster hardware it is easier to find the Orange pi for a consistently lower price point. It would be nice to have the option for people so that when and if they want to get a Dreampi they could seek the most cost effective route. I do realize that you could get lucky and score a raspberry pi for a sweet deal. This is about having the option for building one without waiting to find a auction at a lower price. $16.99 would be a good deal for many of us who did not have such luck as you.

konio38
undertow

Post#6 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:06 am

I have an orange pi and for general proposes i love it, it was cheap about 10 euro (compared to the 40 euro that costs me to by a Rpi) although i must warn you, the orange pi is not directly compatible with the Rasbian images, so you will have to install a compatible linux distro for the device and then manualy configure he python script for dreampi, something i havent been able to achive and i have been stugling for quite some time.
So if the price diference is low, just to for the Rpi.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#7 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Yeah I know that the orange pi cannot run raspbian, that is the whole reason for this thread. We have an image made for raspberry pi and I was attempting to get feedback on if an orange pi image could be made and if anyone with the know how would be interested in helping the community to build an image so that users had the choice. It is all about being able to chose the cheapest option. I think that the orange pi is a fine option if we had a working image. They are cheaper in general if you do not count the lucky auction that pops up here and there.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Please ignore this post if it annoys anyone, I just thought I'd throw this out there for others to reference...a "knowledge is power" kind of thing I am reaching for here. I thought I'd just put this out there for those who do not know about the differences between Orange Pi Plus, ODROID-C2 and Raspberry Pi3. Below is a quote from the link at the bottom of this post...

QUOTE:
"Another primary competitor in the space is the ODROID, from Hardkernel. The original ODROID-C1 was already a decent platform, with a few more features and more RAM than the comparable Pi at the time. The ODROID-C2 was just announced in February, and for $39 (only $5 over the Pi 3 price tag) offers a few great features over the Pi 3 like:

2GHz quad core Cortex A53 processor (Pi 3 is clocked at 1.2 GHz)
Mali-450 GPU (Pi 3 has a VideoCore IV 3D GPU)
2 GB RAM (Pi 3 has 1 GB)
Gigabit Ethernet (Pi 3 has 10/100)
4K video support (Pi 3 supports HD... drivers/support are usually better for Pi though)
eMMC slot (Pi 3 doesn't offer this option)
UHS-1 clocked microSD card slot (Pi 3 requires overclock to get this speed)
Official images for Ubuntu 16.04 MATE and Android (Pi 3 uses Raspbian, a Debian fork)"
END OF QUOTE:

As I read into it, it has major spec differences although performance is always the end result to the user. Unfortunately, like the Orange Pi, it seems to not have the level of community or documentation support the Raspberry Pi has. It's like Betamax versus VHS or Intellivision versus Atari 2600 (please no hate mail on this...or hate PM).

http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2016/r ... ge-pi-plus
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

konio38
undertow

Post#9 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:03 am

What Bob Dobbs is telling is true the orange pi is kinda the black sheep of the "pi" comunity, there is no documentation on anything or usefull, but they are cheap and i belive for our needs is a more than capable little computer. I would be willing to help out the comunity and create a image for orange pi one and orange pi pc (since the one i have is an orange pi one that is directly compatible with orange pi pc)

However i have been encontering some issues when atempting to manualy setup the script. everytime i try to boot the script up, it gives me a message that modem is not found and a bunch of error messages after that, i also have already instaled the python-serial package.

My usb modem is detected when running the lsusb command.

Here is a print screen when running the script in --no-daemon mode

http://imgur.com/a/G8KFr

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#10 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:59 am

Good post Bob Dobbs. That odroid seams a very capable machine. ether way I am interested in learning more about ether one. When I comes to this stuff it is all new to me. But would be fun to learn more.