DreamPi 1.6 Released!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: DreamPi 1.6 Released!

Post#21 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:04 pm

ive got that WRT54G router too.. since I started using "1.5b" version I got from tact the only game ive had any issues with on the 5 games I have gone online with was PBA bowling.. I cant join or start a game...

its been working so well I havent switched to 1.6 yet...

that said.. i do not own starlancer or tetris yet so maybe I will have problems with those also..?

Shuouma
Developer

Post#22 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:11 pm

@HuntrRose - Yes you will get the same issue, like I said with PBA, I got a ICMP unreachable from
your router or your ISP firewall on the port range 2300-2400. Starlancer uses the same port-interval but
you will hopefully have better luck with Tetris. The 1.5b version is the one I fixed for Tact to test
the gamespy fix, so 1.6 has those components :)

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#23 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 pm

Thank you!!! It fixed from my part a issue that appeared in 1.5 version (PAL), many times to connect to a game. Line is busy usually. In game all perfect, long gameplays and all ok.
But now with 1.6 connects at first time usually again, like in 1.4 v. Thanks agains for that great work!!!
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

BLueSS
dark night

Post#24 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:31 pm

kazade wrote:If you've had trouble with previous releases, let me know if this improves things!

http://blog.kazade.co.uk/2016/12/dreamp ... eased.html

Kazade,

Is there a way to modify the connection speed in dreampi? I have a 56K modem (670-14140A) and I would like to test the difference 56k makes for games like Q3A. Back in my dial-up days, it made a huge difference when I was able to get a dial-up ISP that connected at (or very close to) 56k speeds, so I feel like this would improve the experience for those who have the 56k modem model.

Thanks

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#25 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:41 pm

BLueSS wrote:I would like to test the difference 56k makes for games like Q3A. Back in my dial-up days, it made a huge difference when I was able to get a dial-up ISP that connected at (or very close to) 56k speeds, so I feel like this would improve the experience for those who have the 56k modem model.

You won't be able to get a full 56k no matter what modem you use. You're limited to the upload speed of the USB modem which is 33k.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BLueSS
dark night

Post#26 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
BLueSS wrote:I would like to test the difference 56k makes for games like Q3A. Back in my dial-up days, it made a huge difference when I was able to get a dial-up ISP that connected at (or very close to) 56k speeds, so I feel like this would improve the experience for those who have the 56k modem model.

You won't be able to get a full 56k no matter what modem you use. You're limited to the upload speed of the USB modem which is 33k.

Even if that is the case, download speed would still be 56k, so I'd get faster updates from the servers.

Why /not/ have it connect at 56k if possible? Seems like a silly thing to limit. Let the modem handle the slower upload?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#27 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:53 pm

BLueSS wrote:Even if that is the case, download speed would still be 56k, so I'd get faster updates from the servers.

Nope. The USB modem is transferring the data to the Dreamcast modem so you're bottlenecked by its 33k upload speed.
PSO Characters:

BLueSS
dark night

Post#28 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh, I misread and skipped over the /usb modem/ being the upload 33k limitation. :( My bad for fast reading. Are there any known working USB modems that support 56k fully and work with the dreampi setup?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#29 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:57 pm

BLueSS wrote:Are there any known working USB modems that support 56k fully and work with the dreampi setup?

I don't believe there is such a thing. All modems have an industry standard 56k/33k speed as far as I know.
PSO Characters:

BLueSS
dark night

Post#30 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:21 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
BLueSS wrote:Are there any known working USB modems that support 56k fully and work with the dreampi setup?

I don't believe there is such a thing. All modems have an industry standard 56k/33k speed as far as I know.

I had to look this up because my brain was telling me that's not true. I have forgotten much about dial-up standards with the dreamcast being the only reason to revisit this information. Turns out there was a faster upload speed for v92 modems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up_Internet_access
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V.92

Connection / standard / download / upload
56k kbps (V.90) 56.0/33.6 kbit/s
56k kbps (V.92) 56.0/48.0 kbit/s

So I was right; but wrong in remembering that it was only a small portion of dial-up history that had faster than 33.6k upload speeds. 8-)

So I'm not sure how it would work with a v92 compatible USB modem and the DC modem; but I would think a v92 usb modem would be able to send data at 48kbps to the Dreamcast, which is an increase in receive speed; and pretty darn close to as close to as fast as possible as we can get this setup to go.

/off to dig out the info about TacT's usb modems...