Looney Tunes: Space Race

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Rating

10 Best
13%
6%
31%
7 Above Average
19%
6%
5 Average
13%
No votes
3 Below Average
13%
No votes
1 Worst
No votes
Total votes: 16

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Introduction
Looney Tunes: Space Race is a kart style Racing game, similar to the Mario Kart series. Using the cast of charming cartoons from the Looney Tunes, cell shaded graphics and multi player, how could this go wrong?

Visuals
Visually, Looney Tunes: Space Race is impressive, using cell shaded graphics impressive 3D environments and a constant frame rate. Visually the only thing that stands out are the cans and boxes laid out on the tracks. They don't seem to fit in with the rest of the art style. Otherwise, Looney Tunes: Space Race will not disappoint, visually.

Sound
Things start to go downhill in the sound department. The sound isn't bad, but its not great. The sound is average at best, nothing seems to stand out, this game could be played on mute without a drastic change in experience.

Game Play
With something as classic as the Looney Tunes, you would think Looney Tunes: Space Race would include all of its classic characters, sadly it does not. You can play as Bugs Bunny,Daffy Duck, Wile E. Coyote, Sylvester the cat, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian, Porky Pig, The King of the Instant Martians, this seems great, but you can't play as Foghorn Leghorn, Lola Bunny, Taz, Granny, Tweety Bird. Despite the lack of those characters, it doesn't matter which character you choose because they all behave the same way. This gives little incentive for the unlock able characters.

Glitches is another problem, like riding along the outside of the track, or your lighting bolt striking yourself instead of your enemy.

Summary
Looney Tunes: Space Race is an impressive title that is worth playing, despite the average sound, the incomplete cast of characters and the game play glitches, it gets a seven out of ten.

lazyhoboguy
fire

Re: Looney Tunes: Space Race

Post#2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:25 am

I am not a fan of realistic racing games, so I may try this game out one day.
my youtube channel
my game collection
ps2onlinegaming.com [plan ps2 online and lan tunneling matches (xlink kai)]

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:59 am

I agree it has some faults but still a very enjoyable game. I've found that kids love it.

I think it was the first cell shaded 3d game ever made. The developers of Jet Set Radio saw an early build of the game and were inspired to incorporate it's look into their game. I own a couple of GD-Roms of early versions of the game.

black flag nc
blackout!

Post#4 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Nice review! I HATED this game. :lol:
"Wait. It's a trick. Get an ax." -Ash

Charlton
Anarki

Post#5 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:43 am

Have not played it much but seems to lack the balance of Mario Kart. Seems to be mostly one of those stay in the back and get the most powerful power up then dash ahead as best you can.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#6 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Wacky races is a similar game.

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#7 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:00 pm

I think Looney Tunes is pretty different from Wacky, i find more similarities with Wipeout in the gameplay and physics. Its a great game, and a proud member of the DC lineup, for me at least.

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#8 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:21 pm

segata sanshiro wrote:I think Looney Tunes is pretty different from Wacky, i find more similarities with Wipeout in the gameplay and physics. Its a great game, and a proud member of the DC lineup, for me at least.

I think I played a demo of looney tunes on dc years ago. I'll pick it up when I start collecting dc games again soon.
I plan to build an extensive collection, albeit cheaply.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#9 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:58 pm

How do you unlock Marvin the Martian? I've beaten all the time trials and challenges. I'm working my way through the Acme Events.

Green Ranger
killer

Post#10 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm

I have to disagree with all the characters behaving the same way as far as gameplay is concerned. The drivers do have distinct characteristics. Wile E. Coyote for instance is one of the fastest and handles very well. Daffy Duck also handles well but he isn't as fast as Wile E. Characters like Marvin The Martian and Porky Pig have terrible handling, especially around corners. There are other differences, but those come to mind right now.