Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: What are your personal thoughts on Evolution?

1) I see no Evolution here!
No votes
2) Why would I adapt to this?
No votes
3) Very little development...
No votes
4) There's some growth but not enough for me to enjoy it.
No votes
5) Ok, it's not totally devoid of the characteristics of Evolution.
25%
6) Its progression makes it more impressive.
No votes
7) It transforms into something much better as time goes on.
50%
8) There's a lot to like about its Evolutionary attributes.
25%
9) Impressive game whose strengths are immediately apparent.
No votes
10) Charles Darwin would be proud of this excellent title!
No votes
Total votes: 4

Green Ranger
killer

Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device

Post#1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Alright! I haven't seen many RPG reviews here, so I thought I'd include my own. This is something I wrote a while back but wanted to share it with you guys. So here we go, a critical review on The Sega Dreamcast RPG "Evolution":

Mag launcher, an adventurer, must pay the family debt to "The Society" by engaging in treasure hunts throughout various dungeon locations. He is accompanied by his female friend Linear, whose secret will unfold an adventure all on its own.

Evolution is designed by Sting (not the singer, the game company) and published by Ubisoft. This is a full 3d rpg, featuring the top down view. The camera rotates a full 360 degrees, granting the player the ability to decide on his own viewing angle during gameplay. Released on 01/21/99, this was the first RPG for the dreamcast. While this game could have built itself a good reputation, there are too many flaws blocking its path.

Graphics (5 out of 10):
Graphically, Evolution is average. On the plus side the character models are lively and visually appealing, giving off an anime feel. Their personalities are likable, and they even express facial emotions when engaged in conversation. The game's environments however, are a different story. There appears to be only one town, and it is quite bare. Nothing is brightly colored to attract your attention. The palette seems washed out, limited and rather bland. Going inside the town's houses will be no different because the interiors are also bare, exposing you to nothing more but a few scattered furniture pieces.

As for the game's dungeons, they are seriously lacking. While it is pleasing to know the rooms are randomly generated, they look almost identical to the rooms you were just previously in. The main setup of a dungeon is this- players are given long corridors to walk through, with the occasional empty lot containing scattered enemies and items... that's it. There are no puzzles to solve, so getting to the top floor is the only objective. Dungeons are also time consuming as the game will bombard you with numerous floors before reaching the final boss. Fortunately the game offers you a save point once you leave a floor, most likely because the game itself knows how long you will be inside a dungeon.

It really does seem as if the game developers were rushed into making the game's scenery, because it leaves alot to be desired. For those who adore eye candy, you will be bored rather quickly by the game's limited visuals.

Controls and Gameplay (5 out of 10):
The analog stick can be used to move the character around, offering a level of freedom that is unavailable with the directional pad. The controls are quite responsive, which is a plus. You can jump, walk and run in this game. The jump feature however, unless used in a specific dungeon, serves very little purpose otherwise.

Storywise, the game progresses at a moderately slow pace, which can be a turn off for some. Your objective is as follows: Mag goes into town, receives a mission from The Society, and is off to a dungeon. After you complete a dungeon the cycle is repeated. You are however usually rewarded with a cutscene after the completion of a dungeon. For those who enoy sidequests in their RPG, they seem none-existent here. The only objective apparently, is to complete the dungeons so you can pay off The Society.

The saving grace for this game is perhaps the battle system, a turn based system which offers the player a turn based on a particular monster that is killed. This system also provides a "move" feature, in which three diagonal squares on the floor are offered to each character. Depending on the square you move your character to, his defense and offense are affected. The top square offers the best attack advantage but a lower defense. The bottom square offers the best defense with the lowest offense ability, and the middle square is neutral. This offers quite a bit of strategy, giving you the freedom of how to fight.

Another positive note to add is that there are no random battles. Enemies are clearly visible, thus giving the player the choice to interact with them or not. If the player runs into an enemy from behind, "initiative" is received, which is a distinct advantage in the battle mode, offering the player multiple turns to attack before the enemy has a chance to retaliate. The monster designs are nothing special however, most of them resembling modern animals that we see in our everyday lives. Additionally, if a game company's objective is to encourage more girl gamers into playing their products, it is an exceptionally bad idea having the main female character's weapon be nothing more than a frying pan. This is perhaps the worst weapon ever given to an RPG character. Sure she upgrades it later...to an even more dangerous frying pan! To some this sends a negative message, insisting that a woman's place is in the kitchen. Smooth move Sting. :roll:

Sound (5 out of 10):
The game's soundtrack is lacking. While some melodies are catchy, they are also very short and sound similar to each other. The songs can get annoying during dungeon exploration because of their repetitous nature. There is no voice acting in this game, except for the ocassional japanese phrases during battle when a particular move is done. Even the game's sound effects used in the game are forgettable, for they do nothing to enhance the gaming experience.

Summary:

On the plus side:
+ Likable and Entertaining Characters
+ No Random Battles
+ Adjustable camera angles
+ Decent battle system
+ Save feature implemented after each dungeon floor is completed
+ Responsive controls

On the negative side:
-Bland, boring and limited environments
-Little variety in monster design
-Slow story pace
-Repetitous music
-Repetitous dungeon design with too many floors for each
-No side quests

Ultimately, Evolution is a very average RPG with a low fun factor. While the characters, the adjustable camera, and the battle system are commendable, the dungeons will keep you occupied throughout most of the game, and since the dungeons are poorly designed, you will find yourself unmotivated to play. With Evoultion's other flaws to consider, unless you want to test your patience, it is recommended that you look elsewhere for an RPG experience.

Overall Game Score: 5 out of 10

Feel free to comment on this review. Hopefully this will help those inquiring about the game.

Images taken from various Internet sites. Review written by Green Ranger.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Evolution (RPG Review)

Post#2 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:33 am

I think you did not get what this game is about. It is a classic rogue style rpg, they are not about the length or story, but about the replay value, leveling up for the sake of leveling up, and...LOOT :lol: :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Green Ranger
killer

Post#3 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:03 am

This game is a dungeon crawler, but a poorly executed one. Bland and uninspiring dungeons with lazy enemy designs. Getting items and leveling up would've been fun if the dungeons themselves were memorable and entertaining. Not much replay value for me here since not even the story is strong enough to keep me motivated. If there were at least some side quests to break up the monotony it *might've* scored higher. :lol:

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#4 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:41 am

That's true, in terms of sidequests, Time Stalkers is the better game
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Re: Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device

Post#5 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:10 pm

It was a chore to finish because of the boredom. If the pace had been a little quicker and the music been a little better we may have had a winner. I've beaten it twice that I can recall and I can't remember the ending. That's a statement in its self.

Also never even thought about the frying pan. Just sorta fit with the over arching lameness. Not gonna say I won't play it again, just don't usually play it unless I'm tired of loosing at something else and want a warm blanket instead of a challenge.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

Green Ranger
killer

Post#6 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:59 pm

FinedrivE wrote:It was a chore to finish because of the boredom. If the pace had been a little quicker and the music been a little better we may have had a winner. I've beaten it twice that I can recall and I can't remember the ending. That's a statement in its self.

Also never even thought about the frying pan. Just sorta fit with the over arching lameness. Not gonna say I won't play it again, just don't usually play it unless I'm tired of loosing at something else and want a warm blanket instead of a challenge.

I agree, the game was indeed a chore to finish due to the boredom. I beat it once, and the ending was forgettable. It's not a title I'd play again.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#7 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:29 pm

Green Ranger wrote:
FinedrivE wrote:It was a chore to finish because of the boredom. If the pace had been a little quicker and the music been a little better we may have had a winner. I've beaten it twice that I can recall and I can't remember the ending. That's a statement in its self.

I agree, the game was indeed a chore to finish due to the boredom. I beat it once, and the ending was forgettable. It's not a title I'd play again.

All that being said what may have killed it the most for me, was how excited I was to play it. It didn't even catch up to me that I was bored until about half way through the game.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.