Virtua Fighter 3TB

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: How good is Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle?

1: Super garbage
No votes
2: Regular garbage
No votes
3: Not garbage, but stinky
No votes
4: Not very good
No votes
5: Meh
No votes
6: It's alright
No votes
7: Good, but not great
70%
8: Great
30%
9: Fantastic
No votes
10: BEST GAME EVAR
No votes
Total votes: 10

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Virtua Fighter 3TB

Post#1 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:43 am

PC made me play this.

Ok, so Virtua Fighter 3 was (eventually) ported to the Sega Dreamcast by AM2 themselves, and they ported the updated Team Battle version, which includes the option to play with multiple teams of fighters instead of just the Normal arcade mode.

The Team Battle mode is pretty lame though, since you can't even switch characters and the game has to load a new bout each time one fighter gets knocked out. Marvel vs Capcom 2 this isn't. Also, in another interesting quirk, the number of characters on each team is based on the number of rounds necessary to win in the options screen, but that's not mentioned there.

Graphically, it looks very good, a marked step up from VFs 1 and 2, the environments are pretty gorgeous, and the fighters much more detailed than earlier titles. It may not be as good looking as Soul Calibur or DOA 2 though, which is a bit of a mark against it. The sound is ok, not fantastic, but it definitely keeps in the style of arcade conversions of the time, particularly Sega's arcade ports.

The controls are good, like other VF titles, it uses one button each for punch and kick, as well as a block and sidestep button. That makes it perfect for the DC pad, whereas some other fighting games have had trouble with the DC's four face button+two trigger configuration. The controls are tight and responsive, which is a must.

The gameplay however is a little less rosy. Certain characters are exceedingly difficult no matter when they're encountered, and others can be beaten even if they're up around stage 7 or 8. The game disincentives ornate combos and throws by having the CPU sidestep or strike with higher priority.

In all, VF3TB is a good game, but not the best 3D fighter on the system. It looks good, controls well, and sounds alright, but can be very frustrating, and it's pretty shallow, with only 3 modes (practice, normal, and team battle), 10 characters, and the characters themselves are paper thin. Soul Calibur has fantastic fantasy characters, and DOA 2 at least gives the characters personality in cutscenes, VF 3 does neither of these, and it suffers for it.

Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle gets a 7/10 from me.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Virtua Fighter 3TB Review

Post#2 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:09 am

added to the index
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Re: Virtua Fighter 3TB Review

Post#3 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Nice review! This game sits in a difficult genre on our system. Comparisons to Soul Calibur and DOA2 are unavoidable and while it plays as good as the arcade version it seems dated by the higher quality of the afore mentioned titles. You are spot on with the controller. Thanks for the review!
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

Dreamcast_Ninja
dark night

Re: Virtua Fighter 3TB

Post#4 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:54 pm

I agree with your review I still enjoy playing it.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:31 pm

VF3tb was not ported over to the DC in-house AM2.
The game was outsourced and ported by Genki :oops:
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Post#6 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Yes, I believe Am2 had a completed saturn port that never got released.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#7 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:13 am

I think someone pointed that out in the comments on Youtube. I was misled because I don't think the intro mentions anyone but AM2.