Chicken Run

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Well, how good do you think Chicken Run is?

1: Fry that chicken
33%
2: If this is how good the chicken is, the egg definitely came first
No votes
3: It's a quack
33%
4: Fowl
33%
5: Meh
No votes
6: It's alright.
No votes
7: Tastes like chicken!
No votes
8: This chicken can cross the road
No votes
9: What a cute chick!
No votes
10: BEST CHICKEN RELATED PUN/GAME EVER!
No votes
Total votes: 3

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Chicken Run

Post#1 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:05 pm

So, FinedrivE asked me to review Chicken Run, and review it I did. Now, this is a movie based game that was also released on the PC and Playstation (along with an unrelated GBC game, which was common back then). Unlike some other PS1 ports, the Dreamcast version does look markedly better than the version for the older hardware.

The game actually looks pretty good, and there are cut-scenes taken right from the movie (I think), which is a pretty good sign. The game also has many quality voice actors, including a handful from the movie. The music is passable, and might also be from the movie (imdb doesn't list the same person as in charge, but it could still be from it).

It looks good, and it sounds good, but the controls and gameplay are what torpedo the SS Chicken Run. Things get off to an auspicious start when the game has the worst menu ever in a video game. It's just so clunky. You really have to see it to believe it. Suffice to say, the two most useful options in the menu (load/save and play the game) are on opposite ends of the menu.

Then the actual gameplay of the game is a stealth based fetch quest. You have to sneak around, as a chicken, and get various parts for a harebrained scheme to fly the coop. When you're caught by the dogs or people, you lose something you had gathered, which means you have to get it again (it magically teleports to where it had been before). Of course, that would be a lot easier if the camera weren't constantly conspiring against you. It moves CONSTANTLY, and moving it yourself (you can only rotate it, not pan up or down) is effectively useless. Given that all the controls are camera relative, you end up going in a direction you don't want to because the camera moved while you were moving.

The gameplay drags what would have otherwise been a mediocre to good title down to below average at best. Chicken Run gets a 4/10.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Re: Chicken Run Review

Post#2 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Good read, great info. I'm impressed at the speed you churn these out. Based on the fetch quest quest description you have me thinking about ET for the Atari 2600.

Also your facial expression is priceless. It looks as though the game was actually work to play.

Oh and " GO GUNNERS"
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:30 am

added, thanks
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:01 pm

FinedrivE wrote:Good read, great info. I'm impressed at the speed you churn these out. Based on the fetch quest quest description you have me thinking about ET for the Atari 2600.

Also your facial expression is priceless. It looks as though the game was actually work to play.

Oh and " GO GUNNERS"

It depends on the game, some games I have to play for quite a while before getting a good opinion on them, but after Act 1 it was pretty easy to see how Chicken Run would turn out (VF3, as an arcade port, doesn't really have much depth to it, so getting an idea of how it plays is pretty quick, I mainly played it for PCs challenge).

Yeah, the game was pretty frustrating to play, especially the start of Act 2 (apparently I was supposed to jump on a bunch of boxes and get to a barn, then dig a hole somewhere, none of which was communicated in the game).

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Re: Chicken Run

Post#5 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:01 am

I haven't assigned it a number grade yet. I will say the level of frustration I experienced during the first couple of objectives in Act 1 is standard with movie licensed games. I want to like this but even the part of me that willing to go further is frustrated with the camera. The dog AI to seems crippled. I spent about 20 minutes just seeing how many different ways I could evade capture. There were more than a few instances I simply wedged my hen into a corner between a water tub and a building. Even though the dog was actively seeking me and I was in his cone of sight I escaped. On the other hand I found it difficult to enter the chicken coups and was caught several times entering the door. That's not a good start. Broken AI and a protagonist that you really only seem to have control of in a game that requires sneaking around is never a good thing.

I'm gonna try and finish this turd. For a game with higher production values it sure is disappointing so far.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#6 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:12 am

Oh yeah, I didn't say it, but it was kind of seen in the video (though I cut out a lot of time of "hiding" because it would get super boring), but often in the garden section I would walk between some stack of wood and a stack of seeds or something and the dogs would literally be looking at me, then walk off no longer interested. I also hid in the doghouse, right by a dog, just fine.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#7 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:47 pm

I've given it another 45 minutes and I'm starting to think that your 4 is a bit on the generous side. I like it but it challenge lies almost completely in it's controls and not by design.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#8 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:46 pm

FinedrivE wrote:I've given it another 45 minutes and I'm starting to think that your 4 is a bit on the generous side. I like it but it challenge lies almost completely in it's controls and not by design.

I'll definitely agree, but the graphics and sound are pretty good, and there's a big gulf between it and the atrocious games like Roadsters and Spirit of Speed (it's the next review, and SPOILER ALERT, it's not very good). The Act 2 minigames, while functionally identical (move the analog stick to aim and press A to propel a chicken) are entertaining, the less said about the Act 1 minigame the better.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#9 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:30 pm

That's true. I will say the fit and finish is nice. I'm not even really torqued out about the menu you hate so much. Plus when I keep in mind the voice acting and the cut scenes this game really does have a higher production value than a lot of highly anticipated games that did well. (I'm lookin at Time Stalkers).

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#10 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:21 pm

My hat is off to you sir. I have been incapable of finishing the first act. I'm not going to say that this game is hard. I'm going to agree with review 100% and say the frustration and challenge is based on bad control and a visciously unpredictable enemy AI. Some times they see you sometimes they don't. Sometimes you're sneaking around like a badass bobbin and weavin and shit. You'll be feeling real good about your chances. Then a mother fuckin dog shows up that you didn't even know was there.

Don't buy this game.

Return to “Reviews”