Spider-man

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: HOW DO YOU RATE THIS GAME?

1-
No votes
2-
No votes
3-
No votes
4-
No votes
5-
No votes
6-
No votes
7-
20%
8-
40%
9-
40%
10-
No votes
Total votes: 5

Charlton
Anarki

Spider-man

Post#1 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 am

This game in a word...TOTALLYROCKS!
Ok that was really two but this one is so good it just can't be summed up in one.
A port of the PS1 version which i have not played in years this one has parts that remind you of where it came from. Albeit with better looking graphics.

GAMEPLAY
This is where they learned how to make a 3-d Spider-man game folks. Web slinging, combat, zip lining, etc.
Yes you can't swing right down to street level(at least so far as i have gotten) but it does give you a great feel none the less to swing about its good sized environments.
And they even tossed in a story reason for the streets to be clouded over.
Being level based instead of a sand box game(like the stellar Spider-man 2 based on the second movie in the 2000's) actually gives this game a unique feel all its own and makes each area stand out in its own way.
and boy is there some stand out moments.
Some of the best beats are when you have to escape the cops. A part usually just tossed in in other similar games.
Bottom line: gameplay and boss battles(so far as i am yet to beat the game) are hands down great.

Controls
Really good. Even more impressive when you consider this is the first 3-d Spider-man and you really can do whatever a spider can with only a bit of camera trouble.

GRAPHICS\SOUND\IMMERSION
Looks a lot like the cool cartoon from the 90's.
Sounds good. Venom will make you chuckle.
Interesting world to play in. The sewer levels can get a little bland to look at but are still fun and the game doesn't leave you in any one place for very long. Lots of full motion and voice acted(i believe from the actual 90's cartoon) skits.

FUN FACTOR
This one has that x-factor where it all comes to gather with just the right amount of caring yet cartoon atmosphere to make you positively have a blast playing it.
I do seem to lose my interest in the latter half of the game but thats not to say it isn't still very good and i am going to beat it.
This one web slings very high indeed!

SCORE
9 out of 10

Wrath of Khan
Sega RPG

Re: Spider-man Review by Charlton

Post#2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Played it on the ps1. I seem to remember a lot of pain with this game. Wonky camera, dodgy boss battles.
I think the battle with mysterio was a nightmare for the wrong reasons, spiderman kept getting caught on the scenery as you ran up or was it down a spiral platform. Still I finished it but there was some pain.
Perhaps the dc version is a touch improved? Very true to the comics though i must say.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Spider-man

Post#3 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 am

thanks man, added to the index 8-)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Charlton
Anarki

Post#4 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:35 pm

@mazonemayu
no problem ,man.
the old stuff is so good and vintage,gotta keep it alive!

Charlton
Anarki

Post#5 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:41 pm

@wrath of Khan
first off awesome profile pic and name. Khans the man!
second its been so long since i played the ps1 i can't remember it too well but i do remember liking it a lot.
the DC version camera can get annoying when your on the ceiling but its so cool they put the transparent ceiling stuff in this first 3d Spider-man game that i just work with it when it gets in the way.
Thanks for the feed back.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#6 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 am

I will always love this Spider-Man game because it's based on the 90s TV show, which is awesome. (I have played its PS1 sequel featuring Elektro, and it isn't bad either).

Yes the camera can be problematic at times, but that's more due to the lack of a second analog stick to control it in tight corridors. Also, I love all the different costumes that are available to play back through the story with. Something they actually kept in later games (IE unlockables and not DLC).

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Always a sore spot for this one. I bought it played it a few times and traded it almost immediately for a copy of Sega GT and two controllers. I enjoyed it what little I played it but I needed those two controllers for four player gauntlet legends throw downs. I always meant to grab another copy but I never did. Fast forward to more than a decade later and its too pricey when compared to other games I want to play. I heard it was the best Spiderman game available. Didn't even vote, I'll get it again eventually.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#8 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:04 pm

It's definitely good. The best? I think that depends on how much someone likes the show versus an open world New York City. I'd say it's up there with the best: Spider-Man Web of Shadows, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (The first Amazing Spider-Man game is really good too).

Return to “Reviews”