Sonic 2 review (Test review)

A section to post your reviews of other Sega console games.
See Rules

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale of 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title. Please don't make more than one topic for each game, i.e. no duplicate "threads". Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=789

Poll: I liked Sonic 2. What do YOU think of it?

Abysmal
No votes
Awful
No votes
Poor
No votes
Bad
No votes
Meh
No votes
O.K.
No votes
Good
No votes
Great
33%
Awsome
17%
The Best
50%
Total votes: 12

Jaseman
Prince of Persia

Sonic 2 review (Test review)

Post#1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:55 pm

I posted this on Cnet a while back to test my reviewing skills for the first time... I think it came out rather well!
------------------------------------------------------------

* * * * * (5 stars)

"Classic, Solid, And Holds Up Today in Almost Every Way."

Pros: -Rock solid gameplay and extremely well built levels will keep you coming back over and over.
-Some of the best music tracks ever in a video game.
-Bright and vivid graphics bring out the absolute best of the Megadrive.
-Introduction of Tails :D

Cons: -Slowdown occurs too often in 2-Play Versus.
-Only 4 levels in 2-Player Versus.
-Final boss is too hard for anybody but the most hardcore gamers out there.
-Special Stages are unfairly difficult and don't look very good today.
Summary: To start this off I would like to say this was my first video game back on the MegaDrive/Genesis and almost certainly my favorite.

Summary: To start this off I would like to say this was my first video game back on the MegaDrive/Genesis and almost certainly my favorite.

The gameplay of the Sonic the Hedgehog series is rather simple: You run at amazing speeds through levels 'Acts' and there are multiple Acts in a 'Zone'. At the end of a Zone there is a 'boss' to challenge you before you move on to the next Zone.

The controls in this game are rather simple: use A,B or C to jump and hold Down when running to perform a Rolling Dash. When standing still you can perform a Spin Dash by holding Down and pressing the Jump button. When Sonic is in a ball he cannot be hurt except by spikes.

You collect 'rings' which you lose if you get hurt by a enemy. To defeat a enemy you simply jump on its head or use the Rolling Dash to roll into it.

If you are hurt when you are out of Rings you will lose a life and restart the game from the last checkpoint.

To this day I find new paths to explore and even though I have completed this game many, many times it still offers a great challenge while not being overwhelming difficult.

Even after you finish the game a million times you will still want to play it due to its blazing fast gameplay and awsome music and rock-solid gameplay.

The bosses are also very well thought out and are very inventive and push the MegaDrive/Genesis to its limits. Especially the final boss.

After you can finish the game for a added challenge you can try to complete all the special stages and unlock Super Sonic which you need 50 rings to activate and uses 1 ring a second. Super Sonic is invincible and cannot get hurt (unless he drowns or is crushed) and moves at a unbelievable speed until your rings run out.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has a very nice ending that will make you complete the game just to see it (with a very sweet 16-bit rendition of a popular song during that time).

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 sports really colorful sprites that look great even today and the amount of depth in the backgrounds are truly astonishing with many Parallax layers.

2-Player Versus is very fun to play with friends even with a little too much slowdown. You will have a blast competing with your friends in 4 stages including Special Stages.

Even after you think you have done absolutely everything this game has to offer you would be wrong as there is a debug mode that lets you use the secret debug mode the programmers used. The debug mode is a little glitchy (it's a programming feature so don't expect perfection) it is still very fun to play around with and place any item anywhere and explore areas of the level that you did not know existed.

Level Select: Go to Options and then Sound test and play the following: 19, 65, 9, 17 and then press Start. when you are at the title screen again press A+Start and then you can choose any level in the game!

Debug Mode: When at the Level Select screen go to the Sound Test and play the following: 1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4 and then press A+Start on any level.

All 7 Chaos Emeralds: When at the Level Select screen go to the Sound Test and play the following: 4, 1, 2, 6 and the press A+Start on any level.

To end the review I will say that even though you can get it in many compilations it is most certainly worth the 800 points you will spend to get this game. $8 is truly a bargain for the amount of fun you will get from this game for years to come.

Even if you have this game on Sonic Mega Collection or if you have the original Megadrive/Genesis cartridge it is still worth it because you will have a classic game right at your fingertips without having to dig out your Megadrive/Genesis or get out a Gamecube controller and your copy of Sonic Mega Collection to play this true classic,

Buy it.

(NOTE: I am known by many names on the web and one of them is Jaseman. if you see my review on another site by the name of Jaseman you can assume it is me unless I post there otherwise.)
Last edited by Jaseman on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

black flag nc
blackout!

Re: Sonic 2 review (Test review)

Post#2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Nice review to a great game.

Good work!
"Wait. It's a trick. Get an ax." -Ash

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#3 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:05 am

not to bad Jaseman. you need to add a 10 point poll so that others can rank the game.

Jaseman
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:06 am

Your wish was my command. Vote on it.

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#5 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:22 am

Awesome review!! Would like to see more from you. :)
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

Jaseman
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:36 am

Any requests for new reviews? Also: I E-Mailed the head of Defunct Games regarding me being a reviewer there. Since its unpaid I doubt there would be many applicants :lol:

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#7 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:00 am

Sonic 2 is my favorite classic sonic that i have played so far. i still need to play some of the classic Sonic's though. i recently started Sonic CD and i hope to review it at some point in the near future.

Jaseman
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:03 am

I finished CD on gems collection. I am too cheap to buy AAAs for my wireless GC controller so my Gems collection playing had come to a arubt stop.

Feel free to sugest DC homebrew or DC games... Or classic games.

Impulse
Admin

Post#9 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Nice review.

There are plenty of Dc games that haven't been reviewed yet. The choice is yours.
-Impulse

Jaseman
Prince of Persia

Post#10 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Bleemcast for MGS is next for me!