Popful Mail

A section to post your reviews of other Sega console games.
See Rules

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale of 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title. Please don't make more than one topic for each game, i.e. no duplicate "threads". Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=789

Poll: have you played popful mail? how would you rate it going from 1 to 10, 10 being best?

1. it's a steaming pile of sonic turds.
25%
2. i would have more fun using the CD as a coaster.
No votes
3. i would have more fun using the CD as a frisbee.
No votes
4. listen to me now and believe me later.
No votes
5. fun in spurts.
No votes
6. pretty good.
No votes
7. i would recommend it to others.
No votes
8. A+ game.
No votes
9. work of art.
No votes
10. i want to make sweet sweet love to it.
75%
Total votes: 4

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Popful Mail

Post#1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:18 am

Sega CD

Popful Mail

Popful Mail has to easily be the best game I have ever played for the Sega CD. Not only is it great for the 16 bit era, it is still great today. Most Sega CD games are lame. Normally they consist of some crappy FMV’s or they are nothing more than a re-release of the cartridge version with upgraded sound. Well that is not the case for Popful Mail. Popful Mail has pretty solid graphics for a 16 bit game, but it isn’t the graphics that set the game apart from the other BS Sega CD games. It’s the voice acting and animated cut scenes. They might seem weak by today’s standard, but for the time they were excellent! Back in the good ole days of 16 bit adventure gaming, you had to sit and read tons of text to advance in the game. So, to hear such great sound coming from a 16 bit game is great. The awesomeness doesn’t stop with the sound though. The game play is extremely good as well. You get to use 3 different characters, but at the beginning only Mail is available. Once you have unlocked an extra character, you can go into your options and choose any of them on the fly. Each character has many weapons and armors they can use. The boss battles are done very well, though the early ones are a bit easy and the later ones can seem a bit hard. If you own a Sega CD you simply must get this game!!!!!

Control

The controls are pretty basic. Nothing special about them nor is there anything bad. They are fluid and precise.

Sound

A++ in this department. You just can’t get much better for this era of gaming. The same actors did a few other great RPG’s for the system such as Lunar.

Graphics

The Graphics are pretty good. Considering the genre they are mighty fine.

Over All

Over all this game is a must have. It is worth buying a Sega CD just to play it.

here is a video of the opening scene that i found on youtube
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtEiUe2Noio[/youtube]
Attachments
PM 2.jpg
PM 1.jpg

Impulse
Admin

Re: Popful Mail

Post#2 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:33 am

Good review, gary_b!

Interesting, thanks for opening my eyes to this game.
-Impulse

Radkin
PSOaholic

Post#3 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Sounds interesting... :D
Regards,
Radkin

DC-Talk Store
My Youtube

black flag nc
blackout!

Post#4 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Wow looks intersting. I never played it. Don't have a working Sega CD anyway.
"Wait. It's a trick. Get an ax." -Ash

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:02 pm

black flag nc wrote:Wow looks intersting. I never played it. Don't have a working Sega CD anyway.
you could emulate it on your PC. idk how much fun that would be though. this game is damn near the only thing stopping me from selling my CDX. i would like to play the Lunar games too, but i could play them on PSX. i also have to get off my ass and try sonic CD for more than 10 minutes. when i do i will probably review it. i hear it is one of the best, if not the best sonic game to date.

black flag nc
blackout!

Post#6 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:31 am

Gary_b wrote:i also have to get off my ass and try sonic CD for more than 10 minutes. when i do i will probably review it. i hear it is one of the best, if not the best sonic game to date.

It is awesome. It's probably the best Sonic game ever, but I still have a soft spot for Sonic 2.

I have it on the Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube. I can't believe that the only other console release that Sonic CD ever got was on a freakin' Nintendo system.
"Wait. It's a trick. Get an ax." -Ash

Jaseman
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Sonic CD is not the best Sonic game but it's still good. I don't know if a change of soundtrack (The Japanese one) would make me think better of it. I also have it on the Gamecube on Gems collection.

Return to “Reviews”