Do servers have to be setup for each game?

Schedule a time to play Dreamcast games online here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Forum rules
Post your Time Zone when scheduling for games. Use this map for reference: Time Zone Map
AtomicPunk
dark night

Do servers have to be setup for each game?

Post#1 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:55 pm

Or can we play any game online?

Like is there a way to do some Sega GT or 2K Sports games?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Do servers have to be setup for each game?

Post#2 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:15 pm

Each DC game has separate server software. Some games are still online via official server software, some are online via homebrew software, and others can't go online anymore.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

AtomicPunk
dark night

Post#3 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 am

Interesting.

There are actual official servers still running? Do you know which ones or a list of them that have official servers still? Thats pretty cool.

PSO is my main game for dreamcast but wouldnt mind playing some of the other games i bought online.

That is too cool. As Jonny 5 would say "input, input" thats what i feel like about any and all info about still online dreamcast games, especially ones with official servers still up that is way cool

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 pm

AFAIK Toy Racer is online again because one of the original developers got permission to make the official server software public. I don't think any DC games are officially hosted anymore, though.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

noiseredux
Power Stone

Post#5 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:36 pm

what about Maximum Pool? wasn't that officially hosted because it's the same server as the PC version or something like that?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 pm

I mean the original hosts for the games aren't running the software anymore; if the official software is still available, it's being run by third parties now. Sega doesn't host any servers anymore, and I don't think any of the GameSpy servers are up anymore, either, since GS shut down quite a while ago now.
"Fear the HUnewearl."