VGA quality via Hanzo on LED tv

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

VGA quality via Hanzo on LED tv

Post#1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey gang. Its been a while since I posted here, sorry I've been away!

I'm playing Skies Of Arcadia via VGA (NTSC Version on my PAL Dreamcast) and am using the Hanzo VGA box. I haven't used this stuff for a while since I moved back home but it seems to work fine, I just notice a wierd picture problem when I'm on screens like the bright white screen with the big blue SEGA word on it. The issue looks like loads of faded dots over portions of the screen. Its only REALLY noticeable on such predominently white screens.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue?

I'm probably going to purchase the Akrura they are preparing, which is their HDMI solution (FINALLY) so this may end up not being an issue but still interested to know what people think

Cheers
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: VGA quality via Hanzo on LED tv

Post#2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Welcome back Ultrapro!

This is normal. That's just how the Dreamcast's video output looks on modern TVs. You'll even see the same thing (actually even worse) with a PS2 and component cables. Like you said, it's not always noticeable. Heck, it took me years to even notice it myself. I've used many different VGA boxes and cables and they all have the exact same faint dotted pattern so I know it's perfectly normal. You're going to see the same thing with an HDMI adapter because it's just converting the VGA signal to HDMI. Don't purchase the Akura if you're expecting better video quality because it will look exactly the same.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks Wiz, I'll see what the price is for the Akura. Its more because at some point I'll get a new tv which won't have VGA in. At least it isn't just me. So if you run the VGA box to a true VGA monitor you won't see this stuff then?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:20 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:I'll see what the price is for the Akura. Its more because at some point I'll get a new tv which won't have VGA in.

Ah ok. Yeah, that's the reason to buy one. I'm actually working on my own HDMI adapter which will be cheaper than the Akura. I'm hoping to have the first "retail version" built tomorrow. I'll be testing it myself for about a week or so and then I'll put some up for sale if everything checks out. You can see a a couple pictures of the prototype here.

DCUltrapro wrote:So if you run the VGA box to a true VGA monitor you won't see this stuff then?

Yeah, I imagine you wouldn't notice the dots at all on a CRT.
PSO Characters:

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Nice work! So are both your one and the akura only going to have a 4:3 ratio? If so I'll stick with vga as my LG lets me control every aspect of the picture size and position so I can fill the screen etc which I always prefer

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:29 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:Nice work! So are both your one and the akura only going to have a 4:3 ratio? If so I'll stick with vga as my LG lets me control every aspect of the picture size and position so I can fill the screen etc which I always prefer

Thanks! Yeah, it's a straight passthrough basically so it's going to be in the original aspect ratio. I am considering making one that does upconversion to 720p in the future though.
PSO Characters:

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Sounds awesome.

Did you buy a Hanzo? I liked it but the cable and the way the box is made just felt a bit impractical, the cable was so rigid and the way it fitted into the box was so flimsey I had problems woth it keeping the colours right due to an eventual loose connection. Will yours be less cumbersome?

I'm playing SOA again and wanted to play it in vga but had to dig out my Hanzo, audio cables, ntsc version of the game and my xploder... Serious amounts of treasure hunting in my storage unit ensued lol.

If yours is less expensive and is more reliable in terms of build then I might nab one of yours instead.

So the artifact thing only seems to be an issue on the front dreamcast splash screens, and I noticed some issues playing gunlord and thats about it. Hanzos all set up and looking good so I might try out my connection to pso again tonight :-D

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:35 am

DCUltrapro wrote:If yours is less expensive and is more reliable in terms of build then I might nab one of yours instead.

Reliability has yet to be seen but I'm doing what I can to make sure everything doesn't fall apart. :lol: I've never used a Beharbros VGA box so I don't know what their build quality is like. My HDMI adapter will definitely be cheaper and likely smaller than the Akura though.
PSO Characters: