External VGA to 1080p HDMI upscaling

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

metoo3
shadow

External VGA to 1080p HDMI upscaling

Post#1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:48 am

Hi there,

Even I do now there are numerous VGA to HDMI topics I would like to discuss a somewhat fancier solution.

If I use my Plasma TV set for gaming I hook up the DC via VGA.
However I'm wondering if there is any better solution with bypassing the internal scaler of the TV set.

DC -> Toro VGA -> VGA 2 HDMI scaler -> TV

So is there any VGA to HDMI scaler which does a very good job with upscaling 480p to 1080p in order to get the best picture quality (and options for screen adjustment)?

Regards
Nils
Last edited by metoo3 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RXShorty
photon blast

Re: External VGA to 1080p HDMI upscaling

Post#2 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 am

I have some experience with this ;)

Read my TOPIC here.
Also there is a all in one solution without the upscaling but Dreamcast --> HDMI with the Akura: https://www.beharbros.com/akura

Already bought the Hanzo from them and great prouct and awesome support!
DreamOn!

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 am

metoo3 wrote:So is there any VGA to HDMI scaler which does a very good job with upscaling 480p to 1080p in order to get the best picture quality (and options for screen adjustment)?

That's a very subjective question. It depends how picky you are. I for one have pretty much given up on upscaling (I've used stuff in the multiple hundreds of dollars range too) because I'm too picky. But some people plug in a $20 device and say OMG it's amazing!

Viewing distance and screen size are big factors. A smaller screen with a bigger viewing distance and you'll notice fewer upscaling artifacts. If I want a larger screen than my CRT, I use a VGA to HDMI adapter at 480p into my 42" Sony LCD with a viewing distance of about 12-15 feet. I would say it's pretty acceptable. If I sit closer it looks pretty meh, but sit back and it looks fine.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

metoo3
shadow

Post#4 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am

I already have a Toro box as well but I don't see the point with the Akura because it doesn't upscale at all. It just sends 480p via HDMI.

Beside my MX7000 CRT and my PVM I use a 50" Panasonic Plasma with VGA input. Picture quality is good. I just always want to max out everything. Therefore I'm just thinking to bypass the Pana's internal with a dedicated upscaling device...