Permanent Fix for Random Resetting (new connector?)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

kazade
Developer

Permanent Fix for Random Resetting (new connector?)

Post#1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 am

Hi all,

So, for a long *long* time (e.g. since 2003) my Dreamcast has suffered the random resetting issue. I've lost count of the number of times I've opened it up, scraped and bent the pins, and put it back together. But each time, it lasted less and less time and now, it's just not working. I can play maybe half a lap on Toy Racer before it goes back to randomly resetting again.

My theory is that the connector pads (that the pins touch) are now so loose that they just don't get a good connection and the moment the DC heats up the connection is lost. Does anyone know if there is a suitable replacement for this connector? I'd like to basically desolder the current one and replace it with something new.

I know I *could* solder the power board directly to the mainboard but I like the option of being able to take it apart.

Xerxes3rd
fire

Re: Permanent Fix for Random Resetting (new connector?)

Post#2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:27 am

I assume you are talking about the connection between the power supply and mainboard? If so, I _think_ this is the connector on the power supply:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 09-52-1066

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#3 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Kazade you should check capasitors from power supply. Possible to get dry inside i dont know.

kazade
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Xerxes3rd wrote:I assume you are talking about the connection between the power supply and mainboard? If so, I _think_ this is the connector on the power supply:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 09-52-1066

That certainly looks like it! Annoyingly though Mouser want to charge me £12 delivery for a tiny £1.32 part - I'm still looking for an alternative :/

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 am

Just to be sure, open the console and remove the top part of the case. Put a small spoon on the little handle that normally keeps the lid closed. Play some games. See if the problem still occurs. If no, put some tape on the handle to make it thicker, or put some tape on the mechanism that pushes the handle inside the cover...