VGA to hdmi on 4k tv

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

PupHarley
noob

VGA to hdmi on 4k tv

Post#1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:36 pm

I am trying to hookup my Dreamcast to a Samsung 4K tv. I have a VGA adapter hooked to the Dreamcast. I only get a pink screen or green screen. I've tried changing out hdmi cables with no change with the picture.
My brother is using the same exact vga converter on an LG 1080p TV with no problems.
The Samsung doesn't have any other inputs, just hdmi.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: VGA to hdmi on 4k tv

Post#2 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:15 am

The converter might not work with 480x640 resolution. The tv must have an RF input? I have never seen a tv that did not have RF to hook up an antenna or a cable feed.

AC1DFOX
noob

Post#3 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:09 am

Gary_b wrote:The converter might not work with 480x640 resolution. The tv must have an RF input? I have never seen a tv that did not have RF to hook up an antenna or a cable feed.

Then you must not have ever owned something 4K or bought a TV in the last 2 years. Every model from Vizio from 2016 has no Coax or RF input. We have models from Samsung (UN65KS8000), Vizio (P55-C1, P55-E1, M55-D0) and LG (65UF8500 & 65UF7700) Not a single one with an RF input. Last year, when shopping for a couple new sets, we actually didn't even see a set with an RF input.

So the OP has a valid concern, and isnt just inept or missing something.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 pm

This is how I defeated this same problem...
1. Obtain a Dreamcast VGA cable $9.00 (USD).
2. Obtain a VGA to HDMI converter $3.80 (USD).
These are total costs which includes shipping.

If you live in the PAL region, I do not recommend this option for you because of the limitations of VGA vs. PAL games.

The converter works great. Only a very expensive (and high quality converter/scaler) can beat this item I bought. I am amazed that it worked that well. Most HDMI inputs will accept 480p, which the Dreamcast does do quite well. You may have to use a particular HDMI input as all inputs may not be equal. I know some people who have to use HDMI input 2 for their satellite dish receiver/box because HDMI input 1 did not like it (keeping it simple here).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:42 am

AC1DFOX wrote:
Gary_b wrote:The converter might not work with 480x640 resolution. The tv must have an RF input? I have never seen a tv that did not have RF to hook up an antenna or a cable feed.

Then you must not have ever owned something 4K or bought a TV in the last 2 years. Every model from Vizio from 2016 has no Coax or RF input. We have models from Samsung (UN65KS8000), Vizio (P55-C1, P55-E1, M55-D0) and LG (65UF8500 & 65UF7700) Not a single one with an RF input. Last year, when shopping for a couple new sets, we actually didn't even see a set with an RF input.

So the OP has a valid concern, and isnt just inept or missing something.

my 4k tv is cheap and it has a coax input. I was unaware that this was a thing as my tv is the only one that I looked at as far as inputs go.

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#6 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:39 pm

You have three options that will work.

1. VGA box/Toro --> Framemeister --> TV (See my topic: HERE) (with upscaling) - Expansive solution

2. VGA --> OSSC --> TV also talked about in my topic. (with upscaling) - less expansive but still a harsh price

3. Akura --> TV (No upscaling before it enters your tv) - cheapest solution

So loads of options but not cheap ;)
DreamOn!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:50 pm

This is the VGA to HDMI converter I bought, unfortunately it is $5.00 more than I paid for it in late 2016.

US $9.89 (free shipping).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Mi ... ZmaAoP_wGA
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

K0rN b4LL
fire

Post#8 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:26 am

Cheap devices like that don't always work for every piece of equipment they are hooked up to. I had a cheap composite to HDMI adapter one time that worked on my DC but not my N64.

mstar
Doom

Post#9 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:28 am

Also, be wary of any lags those might introduce... You might not notice it at first, but in games where timing is critical, it may be a problem...

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#10 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:36 am

mstar wrote:Also, be wary of any lags those might introduce... You might not notice it at first, but in games where timing is critical, it may be a problem...

I thought it was just me, but I thought there was a millisecond lag using the VGA to HDMI vs the VGA or composite only method.