Can't connect to internet, dropped from game. TEMPORARILY SOLVED

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

sCI
lithium

Can't connect to internet, dropped from game. TEMPORARILY SOLVED

Post#1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:44 pm

I was in the middle of conversation with a player yesterday night and all of the sudden the text bubbles wouldn't appear when text was entered. I eventually tried changing ships and the game effectively--but not literally--froze.

I tried to get back online and it let me get all the way to the point right before you get to the lobby to choose a ship. There are four color things flipping on lower right corner--this time for longer than normal, and when it finally got to the lobby it says I have been disconnected and to check my connections.
I played online problem free for two days and five minutes, before it just randomly stopped connecting with the internet.

Step 1)I used XDP to check internet and the phone turns green...but when I tried to Google search, it says "Unable to contact host, Could not look up its name." Phone is still green.

I checked the IP DNS1 numbers that are supposed to read: 46 101 91 123
Mine were: 208 101 91 123 (It changed somehow)

I switched them back, no change in service.

None of the other settings were changed and check out to be good.

Step 2) I built another line voltage inducer, I used a new battery, I switched ethernet cables (and verified internet connection with it on my computer). Nothin.

Why would the telephone on XDP menu turn green but no use of internet, what does that mean?

Thanks again for any
Last edited by sCI on Thu May 25, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sCI
lithium

Re: Can't connect to internet, dropped from game.

Post#2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:23 am

I ended up finding a solution, but not the problem(yet). I had tested the whole line voltage inducer setup, and everything else, the last things to replace were the Dell phone device and the RPi itself.

Now....I actually had a fully readied new RPi sitting idle for my brother to use but refused to believe I FUBAR'd my current one. Tonight I got frustrated and said What the hell!

Yep, that was it. Plugged in the new RPi, XDP immediately let my use google.

I took out the SD card in the faulty Pi and plugged it into my computer which quickly prompted me: Do you want to scan and fix yada yada yada?

Now onto the evidence gathered.

I had powered down my Rpi every time after I used it by simply and crudely unplugging it. The Internet says that is--over time--possibly a stupid idea and that it may screw with its "system" or at the very least corrupt the SD card.

OH RLY?

Do you know a way to properly and safely power down the RPi considering we (dreamPi users in general) don't have control enough to boot it down? All of the guides online seem to imply that they can access the software and commands of the RPi. I can't.

sCI
lithium

Post#3 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:33 am

Update: Allmighty wise internet says to leave it on all the time, does less damage than off/on

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:57 pm

I sure hope my DreamPi lasts forever .. but true I've read here just plug/unplug the power from outlet and only have the SD card to wonder about

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Post#5 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:24 pm

This same problem randomly started happening to me with Windows98 (i use pc-dc method) so i switched to Ubuntu/Linux and its good now. I guess its software/OS problem. Looks like it gives you to connect, but OS doesnt share internet to your DC or it does for like 1-2 mins then stops.
From love, with Russia :)

sCI
lithium

Post#6 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:27 pm

Strik3r91 wrote: Looks like it gives you to connect, but OS doesnt share internet to your DC or it does for like 1-2 mins then stops.

If I understand your comment correctly, I think you're right, haha

That's why it let me on for a minute or two, then disconnected me until I reformatted the SD and reloaded DreamPi.

sCI
lithium

Post#7 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:04 pm

UPDATE:

So how is this for weird. I have played PSO fine for a few weeks now and after playing for about 25 minutes, in the middle of a game it out of nowhere disconnects me.

I take the SD card out and it appears to be corrupted again.

How can DreamPi on the SD card just randomly decide to corrupt on a whim...in the middle of use?

sCI
lithium

Post#8 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 pm

My backup RPi/DreamPi setup works fine, but this one still won't work, it's like the SD card is corrupting every time I plug it into the RPi...

kazade
Developer

Post#9 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 pm

@sCI I wish I could help but I have absolutely no idea what might be causing the issues you're having. Without being able to see the DreamPi log output I can't even begin to debug what the problem is. I wrote a bit of a guide here for accessing that: http://blog.kazade.co.uk/2016/02/debugg ... eampi.html

Btw, I'm sorry I didn't reply to your email - I've been really busy and just didn't have a chance.

sCI
lithium

Post#10 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Your fine, Kazade, thanks for the reply. Let me try to get a setup for viewing the Pi.

Between Here, Email, and my issue thread on Github, where would be the fastest most direct way of contacting you when I've got my DreamPi ready to interact?