Possibly broken LVI *ISSUE RESOLVED*

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

r3dm34t
shadow

Possibly broken LVI *ISSUE RESOLVED*

Post#1 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Hey guys. I've had a dreampi kit for about a month and a half now. Everything was working fine until today. I'm getting an error saying that the dreamcast can't connect to the phone number.

I've gone though my settings and made sure everything is correct: my dialup number is 111-1111, username dream, password dreamcast, DNS1 is 46.101.91.123 and DNS2 is 8.8.8.8. I've tried clearing the settings from the internal memory and re-entering them too.

I've tried connecting using 3 different browsers, I've tried formatting the SD card in my pi and re flashing the image to it, I've tried connecting over WIFI in case it was my Ethernet cable causing the issue, plugging everything into different ports on the pi, and unplugging the dreamcast's modem and blowing on it. No luck.

I'm using a USB line voltage inducer I bought from the dreamcast live store. I didn't use the internet on my dreamcast often over the time I've had it; maybe 6 or 7 times total. I've been careful with how I've placed everything to avoid damaging the connection in the LVI. Are you guys having problems connecting to the number too, or is my LVI dead? Is it normal for them to crap out so soon like this?

I really hope my LVI isn't dead. I don't think I'd have trouble making one myself if only I lived in a city with a hardware store. When I shop online to get the parts, (resistor, capacitor etc.) the sites want me to pay 20 bucks to ship it to my house :|
Last edited by r3dm34t on Fri May 26, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Re: Possibly broken LVI

Post#2 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:37 am

Easiest way to verify if the LVI is the possible culprit is to check the modem lights. When the Pi fully boots up, you should have two green lights. The when both lights are on, it's letting you know it has recognized dial tone (that's what the LVI purpose is).

Also, depending on the game you are connecting to, you may want to change your second DNS. Using Googles DNS (8.8.8.8) won't really help you in connecting to any Dreamcast server. Below is the DNS configuration I have, and so far I have had no problem connecting to any game server.

DNS1 - 46.101.91.123
DNS2 - 192.185.5.88

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Post#3 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:42 am

Actually DNS settings have nothing to do with dialing and connecting DC to Dreampi thru ppp
From love, with Russia :)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#4 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:58 am

I had a similar problem, when all of sudden my Dreamcast refused to connect to the net. Turned out the DC modem kicked the bucket, after getting a new one everything worked just fine.

I guess either the USB modem, LVI cable, or the DC modem is causing you trouble. As Sega1Dream suggested, I'd start by checking the USB modem lights.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:30 am

I'll be happy to replace the LVI if that turns out to be the issue. Just let me know. The culprit here is very likely either that or the Dreamcast modem.

Sega1Dream wrote:Easiest way to verify if the LVI is the possible culprit is to check the modem lights. When the Pi fully boots up, you should have two green lights. The when both lights are on, it's letting you know it has recognized dial tone (that's what the LVI purpose is).

Actually you'll get the two lights regardless. The LVI doesn't come in until you try and dial a connection. The only way to check the LVI is to check the voltage between the red wire contact on each end of the phone cable and makes sure you have 9v.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#6 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:25 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:I'll be happy to replace the LVI if that turns out to be the issue. Just let me know. The culprit here is very likely either that or the Dreamcast modem.

Sega1Dream wrote:Easiest way to verify if the LVI is the possible culprit is to check the modem lights. When the Pi fully boots up, you should have two green lights. The when both lights are on, it's letting you know it has recognized dial tone (that's what the LVI purpose is).

Actually you'll get the two lights regardless. The LVI doesn't come in until you try and dial a connection. The only way to check the LVI is to check the voltage between the red wire contact on each end of the phone cable and makes sure you have 9v.

My bad, that's right. I used to think that was the case, but recall having an issue with my friends LVI and both lights were still on the modem.

Thanks for catching that error for me PC.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 am

Sega1Dream wrote:My bad, that's right. I used to think that was the case

Yeah I used to think that as well but nope. It's actually too bad it doesn't work that way as it would make troubleshooting much easier.
PSO Characters:

r3dm34t
shadow

Post#8 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:54 am

Ok so something new just happened. I've had 2 lights on the usb modem before, but now only one light comes on. Then I noticed I have no red light on the Pi telling me I have enough power, Plugged in HDMI to check and sure enough, not enough of it. Little rainbow square in the corner. I've been powering the Pi using micro USB going to my Xbox One USB port, It worked for a while but now apparently it's not enough power. I'll seek out a 2.5 A AC adapter and let you all know if it works again.

Thank you so much for all your help. You guys are awesome! :D

r3dm34t
shadow

Post#9 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:I'll be happy to replace the LVI if that turns out to be the issue. Just let me know. The culprit here is very likely either that or the Dreamcast modem.

:shock: That's really kind of you! I'd like to make sure I've tried a few more things before I go to that as an option. But thanks for the offer!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:23 am

r3dm34t wrote:Ok so something new just happened. I've had 2 lights on the usb modem before, but now only one light comes on.

Ah yes. That could definitely be the issue. You'll get the same error message if you don't have both lights as the Pi isn't going to answer. If you haven't already looked at it, I have some troubleshooting steps here.

r3dm34t wrote: :shock: That's really kind of you! I'd like to make sure I've tried a few more things before I go to that as an option. But thanks for the offer!

Sure thing! Customer satisfaction is my #1 priority. :)
PSO Characters: