Possibly broken LVI *ISSUE RESOLVED*

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

r3dm34t
shadow

Re: Possibly broken LVI

Post#11 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Ok so I've managed to get both lights on the usb modem on again, still not able to dial the number. I went to all the stores in my area and none of them sell the 2.5A Micro USB charger I need to get this thing enough power. Does anyone else on here have any issues connecting when their Pi isn't getting enough juice? It was totally fine for me a month ago.

Is my lack of enough power the issue or is my lvi dead? This is giving me a headache.

sCI
lithium

Post#12 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Although it is advised against, I simple use the phone charger my phone came with. So far I haven't fried my Pi's.

I really don't want to encourage you to burn your Pi, but at the same time many other people apparently just use phone chargers and such.
Your LVI has nothing to do with proper power supply to the Pi. Once you can confirm your Pi is powered and operating normally, then we can move to the next step.

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Post#13 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:37 am

im usidng acdc unit from an old printer. it is 34 Volts power. but i dont use any dreampi unit. only regular pc and a modem
From love, with Russia :)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#14 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:41 am

r3dm34t wrote:Ok so I've managed to get both lights on the usb modem on again, still not able to dial the number. I went to all the stores in my area and none of them sell the 2.5A Micro USB charger I need to get this thing enough power. Does anyone else on here have any issues connecting when their Pi isn't getting enough juice? It was totally fine for me a month ago.

Is my lack of enough power the issue or is my lvi dead? This is giving me a headache.

You don't actually need a 2.5A charger for the DreamPi. 2.5A charger is required when you overclock your Pi, in your case you can settle with a lower amperage. I use an nVidia Shield charger, with a hi-quality 2A cable for my overclocked RasPI3B, and it works like a charm (even on high load, as I also use it for RetroPie and heavy stuff, like Quake in DosBox. When I used a lousy phone charger it displayed the undervoltage warning, and the thing was stuttering and dropping frames like crazy). For an untouched Pi a >1.5A will be enough.

One of the things to remember, while getting a power supply for the Pi, is a solid micro USB cable. Even with the best charger around, when the micro USB cable is lousy frequent undervoltages will occur, and the Pi is going to have performance problems. And yes, the cable will wear over time, so you might want to replace it from time to time.

As for the LVI cable, like pcwzrd13 wrote, you need to check the voltage to be sure.

r3dm34t
shadow

Post#15 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Kurasiu wrote:
r3dm34t wrote:Ok so I've managed to get both lights on the usb modem on again, still not able to dial the number. I went to all the stores in my area and none of them sell the 2.5A Micro USB charger I need to get this thing enough power. Does anyone else on here have any issues connecting when their Pi isn't getting enough juice? It was totally fine for me a month ago.

You don't actually need a 2.5A charger for the DreamPi. 2.5A charger is required when you overclock your Pi, in your case you can settle with a lower amperage. I use an nVidia Shield charger, with a hi-quality 2A cable for my overclocked RasPI3B, and it works like a charm (even on high load, as I also use it for RetroPie and heavy stuff, like Quake in DosBox. When I used a lousy phone charger it displayed the undervoltage warning, and the thing was stuttering and dropping frames like crazy). For an untouched Pi a >1.5A will be enough.

One of the things to remember, while getting a power supply for the Pi, is a solid micro USB cable. Even with the best charger around, when the micro USB cable is lousy frequent undervoltages will occur, and the Pi is going to have performance problems. And yes, the cable will wear over time, so you might want to replace it from time to time.

As for the LVI cable, like pcwzrd13 wrote, you need to check the voltage to be sure.

The micro USB cables I've been using might not be so good. I just ordered a 2.5A power supply online, so we'll see if that clears up my connection problems. If that's not the issue, at least I'll have an actual power supply. If it still can't dial after that, I guess I'll order another LVI because I don't have a multi-meter to test voltage in my current one.
Last edited by r3dm34t on Fri May 26, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

r3dm34t
shadow

Post#16 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Strik3r91 wrote:im usidng acdc unit from an old printer. it is 34 Volts power. but i dont use any dreampi unit. only regular pc and a modem

PC-DC Server *shudder*. Not going back there again. Nearly ripped my hair out :lol:

r3dm34t
shadow

Post#17 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Sweet Jeebus it's working again! The issue was in my system settings!

In the dial options on my planet web disc, I discovered that both "dial area code" and "blind dial" were enabled. The culprit: an original 1999 launch copy of the planet web 1.0 browser I recently bought from a pawnshop. When I put it in my dreamcast to try it out, it must have changed my internal settings from using planet web 2.6 without me knowing.

So lesson learned: Don't use older browsers after using newer ones unless you want scrambled network settings :|

Thank you so much for all your help and assistance. This really is a great community. See you online! :D

Djgates06
shadow

Post#18 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

r3dm34t wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:I'll be happy to replace the LVI if that turns out to be the issue. Just let me know. The culprit here is very likely either that or the Dreamcast modem.
iam not getting any solid lights on usb modem but just a quick sex 2 lights flash when pi boots up,ther no dial tone its saying
could u help me out?
Sega1Dream wrote:Easiest way to verify if the LVI is the possible culprit is to check the modem lights. When the Pi fully boots up, you should have two green lights. The when both lights are on, it's letting you know it has recognized dial tone (that's what the LVI purpose is).

Actually you'll get the two lights regardless. The LVI doesn't come in until you try and dial a connection. The only way to check the LVI is to check the voltage between the red wire contact on each end of the phone cable and makes sure you have 9v.

:shock: That's really kind of you! I'd like to make sure I've tried a few more things before I go to that as an option. But thanks for the offer!