How big is the difference between cheap and expensive converters?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

LG18
undertow

How big is the difference between cheap and expensive converters?

Post#1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:00 pm

The reason I ask is because there is a VGA to HDMI converter on eBay for only £4.
I've been wanting to use my Dreamcast on a HD TV for ages so considering the price it's tempting.

Has anyone had experience with similarly cheap converters? What are they like?

Cheers :)

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: How big is the difference between cheap and expensive converters?

Post#2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Yes, my version is a white box version of the Aurora Pro MCX-VTH black box model which sells for over $125USD. It looks great but one factor is not the box, but if you are using a VGA cable, some people trash it because they got a bad one or their TV does not like the signal. I had the latter problem with only two of my HDTV's over the years. One greatly off-set the picture to the left. The other HDTV would not display the Dreamcast (fortunately, I had this leftover pro Altinex VGA DA that when using the 5-BNC output would allow me to play the DC but had a light "screen door" affect at times - Sorry Ryu).

The model I bought (but I bought it for $5.00USD total):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-HDMI-Ful ... SwrddY7zds

The same model from Aurora:
http://www.auroramultimedia.com/products/mcxvth/

Look at those pictures, they are identical. Our company only installs pro equipment, so when the university asked for a converter, the AV consultant specified the Aurora (which I did not know about this piece). So, it will be coming into the warehouse soon for installation in which I will bring in my Dreamcast NFL2k2 to see if there is a difference from mine.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs