Dreamcast RE-Sealed Games from Japan

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them

Dreamcast RE-Sealed Games from Japan

Post by killer-elite »

Hi I was wondering how you guys felt about re-sealed games that are sold as new? I have bought a couple of sealed games from Japan for my collection and have come across two of them that have been resealed (vacuum sealed vs the original factory seal). I opened one of them to make sure the game was new (it was) but the thought of having a used handled game is wack being that I paid for a NEW one to begin with. All the games I am purchasing are already burned and I just want to have the Original Games to have as eye candy and if the FBI ever show up/try something I have the originals to shove in their face. And as I was writing this I have been a little more cautious in my purchases spotting two games that I have been hunting down with re-seals, I'm pretty cautious when buying stuff from strangers that have red flags in their listings - bad photos, vague descriptions of the item and wrong descriptions for so called "new items" Any thoughts ???
Ragfish
St.Jimmy
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake 3
Chu Chu Rocket
AFO
NBA 2K2
NFL 2K2
WSB 2K2
Internet Game Pack
Pool

Re: Dreamcast RE-Sealed Games from Japan

Post by Ragfish »

It's hard with sealed Japanese games because retailers there seemed to like putting their own seals on games. For many old consoles such as N64, Japanese games were never even factory sealed at all, thus some stores did their own seals.

Even today a lot of stores in Japan seem to vacuum seal/use resealable pouches for almost any game they sell (whether it's used or new), so I wonder if you actually got scammed or if the seller was just stupid. I don't collect sealed games but yeah, if I bought a game as new, I wouldn't want a resealed game.
Wombat
Vagabond

Post by Wombat »

Depends on how the game is being offered for sale. A videogame that has never been played can still be new, but this doesn't mean its factory sealed. Back in the day (and probably still valid at some stores) if you were to buy a brand new Dreamcast game in a videogame store, chances were you would get an opened copy where the clerk would put in the disc and manual from a drawer.

So in my opinion, its your own responsibility to check the photos to see if the item is factory sealed, shrink-wrapped or with out any and not to assume "new" means its factory sealed.
bingobongo
minority
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, SOA, JSR :)

Post by bingobongo »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... but I remember in PR China circa 2001-2002 that there were literally thousands of sealed/new Japanese Dreamcast software available. All the little kiosks had them, alongside the crates of pirated discs, of course. Based on what I saw then, there should be a plentiful amount of sealed Dreamcast games circulating - even today.

When I see a 'new' Dreamcast game from a Japanese vendor, I'd assume it IS new and not a re-seal - and re-seals do tend to be very obvious.

If only I knew then what I know now... I'd probably be retired by now :)
killer-elite
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them

Post by killer-elite »

bingobongo wrote:Hindsight is a wonderful thing... but I remember in PR China circa 2001-2002 that there were literally thousands of sealed/new Japanese Dreamcast software available. All the little kiosks had them, alongside the crates of pirated discs, of course. Based on what I saw then, there should be a plentiful amount of sealed Dreamcast games circulating - even today.

When I see a 'new' Dreamcast game from a Japanese vendor, I'd assume it IS new and not a re-seal - and re-seals do tend to be very obvious.

If only I knew then what I know now... I'd probably be retired by now :)
damn I can only imagine what the prices were back in 2000's for JP DC games...I remember on eBay you could find steals and deals for days on most of the catalog, most of the Dreamcast game catalog has skyrocketed in price...it looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a GD-EMU and second console to play the expensive/rare ones
fatsojetson
shadow

Post by fatsojetson »

i found jp sonic 1 at a flea market for 5 bucks recently, im not sure if thats an average price though