VMU (possibly broken?) issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

IrishNinja
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Bomberman Online?
Worms
Sega Swirl, others

VMU (possibly broken?) issues

Post by IrishNinja »

hey all - i have an old green VMU i've used for ages, but recently, it kinda went dead - like, if it's plugged in, not only is it not recognized in the system's memory card screen, it also deadens the controller itself.

fearing the worst, i tried what little i know the other day - cleaned the contacts, popped it open for new batteries & lo and behold, it let me set the date and i could see stuff on it! ...but plugging it b back in gave the same results. i tried other controllers as well.

at one point it started beeping on & off (maybe the batteries aren't in good contact? i should clean those ends as well) but i'm not sure if any of that's related or not.

any ideas here? any means of possibly getting whatever data is on there off/transferred? i swear, that VMU 2 can't come quick enough for me.
djhazardous
lithium

Re: VMU (possibly broken?) issues

Post by djhazardous »

You could try using VMU Tool by speud. I believe it has the ability to copy saves to PC but not sure how.

Failing that you could try formatting it so at least it would be usable again.
killer-elite
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them

Post by killer-elite »

I have a VMU with the same problem. I think it might be a short some where on the board...you will have to check with a multi-meter for the short and fix whatever is causing it...
deluxux
Black Mesa

Post by deluxux »

IMG_20220607_185549220.jpg
I have a VMU with the same problems and shows this on screen... :?:
xzer0PL
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Blocked ports

Post by xzer0PL »

Try to back up image of good VMU in vmutool and write it to dead one. If it not work try to look inside for a corosion traces. It is possible if you are using batteries.