Typing of the Dead Keyboard

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them

Typing of the Dead Keyboard

Post by killer-elite »

Does anyone have any information about this colored keyboard? If it came standard like this or if its a custom??? I think this is my second time seeing one like this?? Maybe it was a first run edition of the game then they switched over to the all clear version??? Any information would be great and thank you in advance !!!!!
Attachments
311440771_2294765684026109_2558228802844063957_n.jpg

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Typing of the Dead Keyboard

Post by Anthony817 »

Wow, that is single-handedly the coolest Dreamcast keyboard I have ever seen!

Cornerb0y
stalker
Dreamcast Games you play Online: AFO/Chu Chu Rocket/Daytona/F355/Ooga Booga/Worms

Post by Cornerb0y »

killer-elite wrote:Does anyone have any information about this colored keyboard? If it came standard like this or if its a custom??? I think this is my second time seeing one like this?? Maybe it was a first run edition of the game then they switched over to the all clear version??? Any information would be great and thank you in advance !!!!!

I see you follow NVM. ;)

killer-elite
blackout!

Post by killer-elite »

Cornerb0y wrote:
killer-elite wrote:Does anyone have any information about this colored keyboard? If it came standard like this or if its a custom??? I think this is my second time seeing one like this?? Maybe it was a first run edition of the game then they switched over to the all clear version??? Any information would be great and thank you in advance !!!!!

I see you follow NVM. ;)
yea of course :P :P :P , I try to follow as many accounts that have alot of rare and uncommon video game paraphernalia. Its always great to see something you have never seen brought to light. And to those that don't know NVM is the National Videogame Museum .

killer-elite
blackout!

Post by killer-elite »

Anthony817 wrote:Wow, that is single-handedly the coolest Dreamcast keyboard I have ever seen!
I remember seeing this controller variant years ago but I didn't pay it any mind being I wasn't interested in Japanese Peripherals at the time...I wish I would of saved the photo to compare it to this one....

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

I've a clear TOTD set and I've never known about this existing till now. Only ever thought it was clear and white ones that existed.

I'd take this with a pinch of salt but could be genuine all the same.

cicadas
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: still working on setting up my dreampi

Post by cicadas »

the little famitsu mascot might be a good lead; i tried searching "famitsu keyboard dreamcast" but i could only find a dead blog post that mostly talks about the standard clear keyboard.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190630035 ... board.html

the box shows the regular clear keyboard too.
genuine or not, that rainbow keyboard sure looks neat. thanks for sharing!

Cornerb0y
stalker
Dreamcast Games you play Online: AFO/Chu Chu Rocket/Daytona/F355/Ooga Booga/Worms

Post by Cornerb0y »

killer-elite wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Wow, that is single-handedly the coolest Dreamcast keyboard I have ever seen!
I remember seeing this controller variant years ago but I didn't pay it any mind being I wasn't interested in Japanese Peripherals at the time...I wish I would of saved the photo to compare it to this one....
I love that place. I live about a mile away from it! Love visiting it!

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

just had a closer look at this and it's FAKE. The type on the keys have been added on top of the "picture". ESC for example should all be in caps but the E should be larger than the SC like ESC. you'll also notice that the type on the keys is far too straight. it doesn't curve with the top of the keycap. https://consolevariations.com/variation ... itty-model here's a decent pic of a real DC short keyboard for comparison.

I have a feeling someone got a pic of a clear keyboard and altered the colour on the keys, then added the type back on, after it had been colourized. Looks convincing from a distance but up close, it falls short.

Cornerb0y
stalker

Post by Cornerb0y »

fraggle200 wrote:

just had a closer look at this and it's FAKE. The type on the keys have been added on top of the "picture". ESC for example should all be in caps but the E should be larger than the SC like ESC. you'll also notice that the type on the keys is far too straight. it doesn't curve with the top of the keycap. https://consolevariations.com/variation ... itty-model here's a decent pic of a real DC short keyboard for comparison.

I have a feeling someone got a pic of a clear keyboard and altered the colour on the keys, then added the type back on, after it had been colourized. Looks convincing from a distance but up close, it falls short.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but the NVM has a tendency to get a lot of un-released/prototype/promotional items donated, and this very well could be one.