How do I Make CDI from Files or ISO?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Teuton1379
lithium

How do I Make CDI from Files or ISO?

Post by Teuton1379 »

1. I have borrowed some Atomiswave Dreamshell games on disc that I want to convert to .cdi image files so that I can burn my own copies using IMGBurn, Alcohol 120% or some similar program. These are Atomiswave games not available in regular .cdi format. How can I do that? (I know that I can copy the disc, but that is time consuming as I do not have two burners connected to my PC.) Detailed steps please, as Dreamshell and building images are new to me.

2. Looking at the disc files, dumped from one of the Atomiswave Dreamshell discs to my hard drive, I see that the .gdi file and associated .iso files, etc. are in a folder called "1GAMES". Would it be possible for me to replace the existing set of files in the 1GAMES folder with a similar set (.gdi, .isos, etc.) from another game and either create a .cdi from the new data or is there another way that I can make a burnable image for making self booting discs using the Dreamshell interface? For example, could I replace Faster than Speed Dreamshell files in "1GAMES" folder with the .gdi and .iso files, etc. files from Animal Basket or Rumble Fish and make a new .cdi or other images to play the "new" game on disc?

I am not worried about exceeding the 700MB data limit for a CD-R as the Atomiswave games are rather small. I can also overburn in IMGBurn if need be. I am trying to learn about Dreamshell in all its forms, this is part of that project. (I have an SD card adaptor and I have burned a copy of the appropriate Dreamshell program for using that, but making disc image keeps eluding me. I prefer using discs as the serial port transfer speed is too slow sometimes.)

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Teuton1379 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: How to Make CDI from Files or ISO

Post by dubcity »

Teuton1379
lithium

Re: How do I Make CDI from Files or ISO?

Post by Teuton1379 »

Thanks for the links, but I want to learn how to make Dreamshell games to run on a disc, using some of the Atomiswave GDI files that will fit onto a CD-R.
Geords
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by Geords »

In the CDI creation window, locate the .gdi file from the game you want to convert. Drag and drop the .gdi file into the BootDreams window. BootDreams will automatically detect and load the associated .iso files from the .gdi file. Once the CDI image is created, you can use software like IMGBurn or Alcohol 120% to burn the CDI image to a disc.
house of hazards
MoeFoh
Uber

Post by MoeFoh »

I made the three kids games awhile back - just never released it. Titles: Animal Basket, Block Pong-Pong and WaiWai Drive. These are burnable CDI files.
https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/ ... OP.7z/file

And...

Atomiswave burnable CDI DREAMSHELL (7-PACK) is here:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=16494
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski
MoeFoh
Uber

Post by MoeFoh »

Geords wrote:In the CDI creation window, locate the .gdi file from the game you want to convert. Drag and drop the .gdi file into the BootDreams window. BootDreams will automatically detect and load the associated .iso files from the .gdi file. Once the CDI image is created, you can use software like IMGBurn or Alcohol 120% to burn the CDI image to a disc.
house of hazards
:lol:
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski