Is it possible to use a Linux Server (ATX) in lieue of a raspberry pi?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Techtoaster
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: * Once I can get my hands on a DreamPi

> Driving Strikers
> PSO
> Power Stone 2
> Outrigger

Is it possible to use a Linux Server (ATX) in lieue of a raspberry pi?

Post by Techtoaster »

Like the subject says, I was wondering if it's possible to replicate the service provided by the DreamPi in a Linux environment on a desktop build. I'm in the process of building a Linux server for my home lab as practice for my upcoming CompTIA Server+ certification for work, among other things like Net+.

Recently, I got back into my Dreamcast and discovered that alot has changed since I last pulled it out. DreamPi, Dreamcast Now, Driving Strikers, etc. Needless to say I'm excited to be back and astounded at the continued lifespan and possibilities that we can acocmplish with the Dreamcast with modern day tech. Alas, we are still experiencing a chip shortage and buying a DreamPi right now seems pretty difficult, and while I could buy my own Pi and set it up I would be paying a high premium it seems.

But then I had a thought, as I believe the DreamPi works off unix/linux. What if I could instead use my custom Linux NAS server at home to provide the same service? Would it be possible to use the Dreamcast USB Modem from Dreamcast Live, plug it into the Linux server, and accomplish what the Dreampi did? Also, would I need to create a whole new program, or could I get DreamPi to boot natively on Linux?

I'm new, I'm sorry if my questions are obviously already answered and impossible, they simply aren't obvious to me just yet.

Thanks for taking the time to read, lemme know your thoughts. If this is possible, I'd like to try it out!
OatBob
MegaDeath

Re: Is it possible to use a Linux Server (ATX) in lieue of a raspberry pi?

Post by OatBob »

Yes, you can run the dreampi script on x86 architecture.

Check out this thread, which includes a pre-built image:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=12731

Alternatively, Scivani updated his own image and allows manual configuration of Dreamcast Now.
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=14233

Unfortunately these have not yet received the latest updates from the rpi versions.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

Techtoaster
shadow

> Driving Strikers
> PSO
> Power Stone 2
> Outrigger

Post by Techtoaster »

OatBob wrote:Yes, you can run the dreampi script on x86 architecture.

Check out this thread, which includes a pre-built image:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=12731

Alternatively, Scivani updated his own image and allows manual configuration of Dreamcast Now.
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=14233

Unfortunately these have not yet received the latest updates from the rpi versions.
Oh wow, great! Thanks for the help, I look forward to taking a look at this. Would I be missing any important updates or should it work for me to at least see if I would like the Online service enough to invest in a Pi and building my own Dreampi?
peanut_unlimited
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star, Quake 3

Post by peanut_unlimited »

Yeah its definitely easy enough to run on alternative hardware. Similar to Scivani's work, I have an implementation running on a hosted linux box that scans my network for my BBA and handles all dreamcast now requests. In this instance it obviously doesn't utilise the Modem calls but the software is reasonably straight forward to figure out if you have a bit of knowledge behind ya.
OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

Techtoaster wrote:
Oh wow, great! Thanks for the help, I look forward to taking a look at this. Would I be missing any important updates or should it work for me to at least see if I would like the Online service enough to invest in a Pi and building my own Dreampi?
A bunch of stuff just dropped for the standard Raspberry Pi "DreamPi 1.8 DLE" package... so yes the x86 image I mentioned earlier will be missing the newest things. At the moment the only key missing feature would be Daytona USA gameplay compatibility, but this update paves the way for a number of future releases.

Some info on the new DreamPi 1.8 features.

https://dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/dr ... -released/
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

Techtoaster
shadow

> Driving Strikers
> PSO
> Power Stone 2
> Outrigger

Post by Techtoaster »

Well I was lucky this morning, Dreamcast Live restocked on the DreamPi so I opted to just get that and trust the standard hardware rather than try and get something working myself. I'll likely still tinker with this on the side for fun though.

Thanks for the info guys!