OpenMenu loads wrong game

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Barnaby
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front Online, Quake III Arena, Phantasy Star Online, Daytona USA

OpenMenu loads wrong game

Post by Barnaby »

Hello all,

I recently set up a new SD card using Open Menu after previously using the standard GDMenu with my GDEMU and have run into an unusual issue where the wrong game gets booted. Instead of launching the game shown on the screen, it always opens the game one slot to the right. Except for the last game, selecting that seems to pick a game from the middle of the list. Has anyone ever encountered this issue before? Hoping there is an easy fix that doesn't involve setting up the SD card again from scratch as it was quite time consuming to load 380 games one at a time through the menu card manager. I've read that you can manually set up the SD card so maybe there's a way to spot fix it within the file system?

Thank you for any advice
dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: OpenMenu loads wrong game

Post by dubcity »

off the top of my head you have one of two problems. You have an extra folder that is pushing the list one to the left. And your list is thrown off from transition of gdmenu to openmenu. Did you by chance take the card you built with gdmenu, take nothing off it, then add openmenu to it?
Barnaby
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front Online, Quake III Arena, Phantasy Star Online, Daytona USA

Post by Barnaby »

This is a freshly formatted card.

Some other details of note - the file system in the card seems to be correct. I booted games off the card through an emulator and it loads the correct games. One thing I noticed is that the last game doesn't show in the list at all. I ended up deleting folder 01 off the sd card and recopying it, then save changes again through GDMenuCardManager. Now the selection opens the correct game, except for the very last entry. This is the game that did not show before I replaced the 01 folder. Now this last game shows in the menu, but it still opens a game from the middle of the list. I thought perhaps the GDI I had was mislabeled, but it appears to be the correct game when run in an emulator. Something seems amiss in the file system, I'll have to investigate further.
dubcity
Super Sonic

Post by dubcity »

Do you have some homebrew cdi on the card that you might not have put the name in? A lot of times the cdi throw off the game list.
megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

are you using the latest version of openmenu and GDMENUCard manager?
Barnaby
shadow

Post by Barnaby »

I verified that all of the games have names in GDMenuCardManager. I do have some homebrews on there but they all show names.

For GDMenuCardManager I'm on version 1.3.3

OpenMenu is version 12-5-2021_alpha2
dubcity
Super Sonic

Post by dubcity »

GDMenu Manager is now at version 2.0
https://github.com/sonik-br/GDMENUCardM ... tag/v2.0.0

You want to use Megavolts newest update to openmenu.
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 80#p179357

Copy the menu_data folder from this zip and paste into the tools/openmenu folder and replace every files it asks you to. Then you will be up to date on that stuff.

As for your problem my suggestion is to take all the cdi files off and see what you get. That will tell you if the cdi are the problem. Then add the CDI files back in afterward.
Barnaby
shadow

Post by Barnaby »

Updating to the newest versions seems to have fixed the issue, thank you all for your help. Performance in the menu is way better in the new version as well, and some of the homebrews that weren't working before seem to be fixed.
MoeFoh
Uber

Post by MoeFoh »

Latest beta binary with first and last title wrapping. Useful when your sd card has 380 games! :o Unpack and overwrite the one in the openMenu directory in Card Manager.
See post: https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 86#p179780
Attachments
1ST_READ (09-25-2023).7z
openMenu Binary
(196.38 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski
Barnaby
shadow

Post by Barnaby »

MoeFoh wrote:Latest beta binary with first and last title wrapping. Useful when your sd card has 380 games! :o Unpack and overwrite the one in the openMenu directory in Card Manager.
See post: https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 86#p179780

This is amazing! Even with better performance it still takes a while to get to the end of the list without wraparound, thank you!