Persistent Dreamcast Issue in 2023: Black Screen with Working Audio - Seeking Solutions. SOLVED!!

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CrisMod
lithium

Persistent Dreamcast Issue in 2023: Black Screen with Working Audio - Seeking Solutions. SOLVED!!

Post by CrisMod »

Hello fellow Dreamcast enthusiasts,

I'm facing a rather perplexing issue with my beloved Dreamcast in 2023, and I'm reaching out to the community in the hopes of finding a solution. My console is experiencing a frustrating problem: it displays a black screen while everything else seems to work perfectly. I can hear the audio in the background, navigate through menus, and even start games, but there's no video output whatsoever. With the VGA i can see that the TV or Monitor it's getting something with 640x480 with Black Screen, if I test on Composite side the video signal it's completely death.

I've embarked on a troubleshooting journey, trying various fixes that I've come across online, but none have proven successful. Here's a rundown of what I've attempted so far:

1. Resoldering Video Pins: I carefully resoldered the video pins, hoping to address any potential connection issues.

2. Capacitor Replacement: I replaced the capacitors associated with the video connection, thinking that aging components might be the culprit.

3. Different TVs: I tested my Dreamcast on multiple televisions to rule out display compatibility issues.

4. Different Cables: I experimented with various video cables to ensure it wasn't a cable-related problem.

5. Cleaning Connections: I diligently cleaned all connections to eliminate the possibility of dust or debris causing the problem.

6. Power Supplies: I tried both internal and external power supplies, suspecting that power fluctuations might be causing the issue.

7. Another GD-ROM hardware: I tested with another GD-ROM hardware, thinking it could be a problem specific as sometimes could be the problem of black screen.

Despite my exhaustive efforts, I've hit a wall, and the elusive video output remains missing in action. If anyone in the Dreamcast community has encountered a similar issue or has any insights or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. What else could I try to revive the video on my Dreamcast?
Last edited by CrisMod on Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
megavolt85
Developer

Re: Persistent Dreamcast Issue in 2023: Black Screen with Working Audio - Seeking Solutions

Post by megavolt85 »

check IC401, if it heats up in a minute then it is dead
CrisMod
lithium

Re: Persistent Dreamcast Issue in 2023: Black Screen with Working Audio - Seeking Solutions

Post by CrisMod »

megavolt85 wrote:check IC401, if it heats up in a minute then it is dead
Thank you Megavolt85, let me check , i will go back with resaults....
CrisMod
lithium

Post by CrisMod »

megavolt85 wrote:check IC401, if it heats up in a minute then it is dead
Megavolt85, the IC401 it's completely burn my fingher in few seconds .............. Also for luck I have the spare GDROM as just the naked board for testing, so I can test it with the turned on console, otherwise if turn off the console with the normal covered GDRom and take out the pieces when i put the finger was alredy not cold but just bearely warm.

I have the spare Dreamcast for parts, I will replace just the IC401?

PS: Thank you man
megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

CrisMod wrote: I have the spare Dreamcast for parts, I will replace just the IC401?
check the AV connector to see if there are any short circuits in it, take a good look at the connector itself
CrisMod
lithium

Post by CrisMod »

megavolt85 wrote:
CrisMod wrote: I have the spare Dreamcast for parts, I will replace just the IC401?
check the AV connector to see if there are any short circuits in it, take a good look at the connector itself
Ok, I will change the IC401 and I will check also if there is some shot Circuits, I hope to solve it Cross Finger.
CrisMod
lithium

Post by CrisMod »

Megavolt85, it WORKS, but I have another kind of strange problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I replaced the IC401, checked if any kind of short circuits, but I cannot notice anything. I checked the resistors after the pin connections of the Video port and seems all of them it gives me the same Ohm resaults.

But now the image it's strange I attached the pictures below. the colors are not well aligned displayed and in the beginning on Dreamcast logo with white background i noticed some black doths and o Menu the colours are not well displayed as i told you just then.

What could be?

PS: I hope it's not this IC401 defected from another Dreamcast

Please, watch the pictures attached.
Attachments
Menu.jpg
Booting.jpg
CrisMod
lithium

Post by CrisMod »

With Composite cable the defects are more visible.....

Attached Below.
Attachments
Composite.jpg
megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

Do the microcircuits have the same markings?
CrisMod
lithium

Post by CrisMod »

megavolt85 wrote:Do the microcircuits have the same markings?
I attached the pictures below.

The IC401 it's the same code number except the last 6 digits (I believe it's the production nember).

But the Resistors as I show in the pictures are different, the resistor from the spare Motherboard are lower in shape and more nicer looking.

The resistors from the motherboard that i'm using looks like taller, more darker in half side and more brown in another side so they are divided by a line in the middle, and the Ohm are slightly lower.
Attachments
Old dead IC401.jpg
Motherboard that I'm using.jpg
Motherboard for spare pieces.jpg