GDEMU menu getting corrupted?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

thalespetacular
shadow

GDEMU menu getting corrupted?

Post by thalespetacular »

Hello guys, I've searched for this problem but can't manage to found an answer, I'm sorry if this have already been answered before and also for my far from perfect english.

What's happening: Sometimes I turn on my Dreamcast and I get a freeze right in the GDemu menu or as soon as I launch a game. Then when I reset the system it's goes straight to the bios menu, as if the disc tray was open. GDemu isn't reading the card anymore.
So I take the SD to PC, delete the "01" folder and reinstall the gdmenu system and things goes back to normal.

It happens randomly, but is somewhat annoying.

Someone know why is this happening?

I'm using a clone GDemu v5.15b and a 128Gb SanDisk SDXC card, with the stock PSU for now.

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Re: GDEMU menu getting corrupted?

Post by Xiden »

thalespetacular wrote:Hello guys, I've searched for this problem but can't manage to found an answer, I'm sorry if this have already been answered before and also for my far from perfect english.

What's happening: Sometimes I turn on my Dreamcast and I get a freeze right in the GDemu menu or as soon as I launch a game. Then when I reset the system it's goes straight to the bios menu, as if the disc tray was open. GDemu isn't reading the card anymore.
So I take the SD to PC, delete the "01" folder and reinstall the gdmenu system and things goes back to normal.

It happens randomly, but is somewhat annoying.

Someone know why is this happening?

I'm using a clone GDemu v5.15b and a 128Gb SanDisk SDXC card, with the stock PSU for now.
So some of the clones are not using the proper connector size and just do a trim of a larger size instead. It's possible it's not seated correctly on the Dreamcast. You might open it up and try reseating the gdemu and see if that helps.

redjeff76
Anarki

Post by redjeff76 »

it is likely the sdcard extender. If you have that extender ribbon folded/compressed or pinched it will cause those issues. Try bypassing the sd card extender and put the sd card directly into your gdemu and load a game. See if you still have the issues then. If the issues are gone, then you will know it was your sd card extender ribbon causing the issues. Either free up the compressed/folded/pinched ribbon or quit using the sd card extender all together.

thalespetacular
shadow

Thank you guys.
I'm actually not using the SD card extender yet.

I'll try to reseat the GDemu and see if it helps.

By the way: I'm also using a serial port adapter for vmu backups. Today I noticed that when the bug with the Gdemu happens, the light of the serial adapter turn on as if the card is being read. It could be related?

Joe Normie
shadow

Post by Joe Normie »

Have you tried formatting the SD card and re-installing GDmenu using GDMENUCardManager? That helped with me.

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

thalespetacular wrote: Today I noticed that when the bug with the Gdemu happens, the light of the serial adapter turn on as if the card is being read. It could be related?
when your menu freezes, look at the LED on the GDEMU, if it blinks quickly or is constantly on, it means you have problems with the power supply, for example, the connector on the power supply has oxidized, remove the power supply and clean the connector

Czesio86
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by Czesio86 »

Open GDEMU.ini in root of your SD card(of course back it up first)
and replace whatever is inside with this:

open_time =150
detect_time = 150
reset_goto = 1
image_tests = 0

And just in case you could delete gdemu/openmenu setting file from your vmu.
If it solves your problem remember to always check that file after updating your gdmenu/openmenu.

thalespetacular
shadow

Thank you so much for the tips, I'll try the sugestions and see how it works!

thalespetacular
shadow

I have tried all the fix you people sugested with no results whatsoever :|

I've noticed a few things: Is more common to happen if I stick for too long on GDemu menu. When in game, it only happened once, 99% of the times was when I was scrolling the menu.
It takes a few sessions of playing to occur, but not necessarily on the same day. It can happen with the Dreamcast cold for example.
GDemu turns the light on indeed, but not always.

When that occurs, and I plug the sd on pc, the first read never works, it gives me a corrupted card message. I take it off and then plug it again and it's working normally. Funny thing: If I try to put it back on Dreamcast after that first read without updating the files, it works - for a few minutes.

Looks like the files being corrupted are the txt files inside the 01 folder.

I wonder: It could be my SD card? It's a128Gb sandisc micro sd.It was cheap, don't know for sure if its legit :lol:

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

if the sd card is not always detected in the PC, then the problem is definitely in it