PAL & NTSC VMU saves for games interchangable?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

PAL & NTSC VMU saves for games interchangable?

Post#1 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:16 am

Hi there,
I live in a PAL region and have PAL games. But I have recently bought a Dreamcast for my work at sea which will play NTSC.

My question is: Can NTSC games work on the same PAL game? If so, which ones?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

TailsfanDC
rebel

Re: PAL & NTSC VMU saves for games interchangable?

Post#2 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Anonymouse wrote:Hi there,
I live in a PAL region and have PAL games. But I have recently bought a Dreamcast for my work at sea which will play NTSC.

My question is: Can NTSC games work on the same PAL game? If so, which ones?

I remember watching an Adam Koralik video where he said PAL and NTSC game saves of the same game couldn't be saved on the same VMU. There is a software out there that can convert the regions of your saves. Adam said he used it to convert his Shenmue I save from NTSC to PAL.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:36 pm

TailsfanDC wrote:I remember watching an Adam Koralik video where he said PAL and NTSC game saves of the same game couldn't be saved on the same VMU.

Incorrect. Adam's video was about the PAL version of Shenmue II not loading the completed game save from the US version of Shenmue I. This is a completely different issue though. I know for a fact that many games will load the save file from either region. Donald Duck Goin' Quackers is one I can confirm.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

TailsfanDC
rebel

Post#4 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:48 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
TailsfanDC wrote:I remember watching an Adam Koralik video where he said PAL and NTSC game saves of the same game couldn't be saved on the same VMU.

Incorrect. Adam's video was about the PAL version of Shenmue II not loading the completed game save from the US version of Shenmue I. This is a completely different issue though. I know for a fact that many games will load the save file from either region. Donald Duck Goin' Quackers is one I can confirm.

Sorry.