Getting kicked back to the home screen

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

unknowncheese
shadow

Getting kicked back to the home screen

Post#1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:29 pm

So far I'm only seeing this while playing D2. The disc is in fine shape, but certain loading screens stay black and moving to a certain location in the game kicks me back to the home screen. I saw a video about cleaning the laser and greasing up the gears and rails, but no luck so far. Is this sort of thing a known problem with Dreamcast? I really don't want to return D2 due to it's price and rarity.

Xiden
Developer

Re: Getting kicked back to the home screen

Post#2 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 am

When you say home screen you mean going back to the Dreamcast console screen or the games home screen?

unknowncheese
shadow

Post#3 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:10 am

Xiden wrote:When you say home screen you mean going back to the Dreamcast console screen or the games home screen?

Dreamcast home screen. Where you check the memory card, set time, etc.

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:49 pm

unknowncheese wrote:
Xiden wrote:When you say home screen you mean going back to the Dreamcast console screen or the games home screen?

Ah ok I had that problem too its an easy fix. Its an issue with the power suppy pins from the motherboard. Its very easy to fix. I found a youtube video that can explain it better for you than I can type

https://youtu.be/RCKbqvbdXNg

unknowncheese
shadow

Post#5 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Xiden wrote:
unknowncheese wrote:

Ah ok I had that problem too its an easy fix. Its an issue with the power suppy pins from the motherboard. Its very easy to fix. I found a youtube video that can explain it better for you than I can type

https://youtu.be/RCKbqvbdXNg

Just cleaned the pins, but that one particular spot that always boots me is still doing it. I don't know what's going on, but this game absolutely doesn't want me to get past this part.

unknowncheese
shadow

Post#6 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Also tried turning that screw for the laser, but no luck.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#7 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:16 pm

You could try dumping the disc with the BBA (or possibly DreamShell) to see if the whole thing is readable. If you can't dump the whole disc without read errors, then you probably have a bad disc with damage in the sectors you need to read to access that part of the game. A bad laser would probably cause more random resets than what you're experiencing. If you only reset in a specific part of the game, then that points to a bad disc.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

unknowncheese
shadow

Post#8 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:39 am

Aleron Ives wrote:You could try dumping the disc with the BBA (or possibly DreamShell) to see if the whole thing is readable. If you can't dump the whole disc without read errors, then you probably have a bad disc with damage in the sectors you need to read to access that part of the game. A bad laser would probably cause more random resets than what you're experiencing. If you only reset in a specific part of the game, then that points to a bad disc.

Yeah, it's looking like a bad disc. I don't remember having any problems whatsoever with my other games. The shop I bought it from said they'll take it back, but it sucks since it's a cool game.

unknowncheese
shadow

Post#9 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 am

Put it to a light and found a few tiny holes. I guess it's disc rot.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#10 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:45 am

If the seller claimed that it was in good condition, then you should definitely try to get a refund.
"Fear the HUnewearl."