can you burn PSO and play online?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: can you burn PSO and play online?

Post#11 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:56 pm

BaffleBlend wrote:1. Unprotected and universal, and thus can be distributed as text

No. V2 uses some kind of unknown system to verify the authenticity of your serial. If you put in a random one that you made up, the game refuses to accept it. If you put in a valid one from a disc of a different region, the game also refuses to accept it.

The only workaround for this is that you can load existing characters on a V2 disc of any region. The first time you go online with a specific character, PSO will ask you to verify your serial. You must be playing the game with a disc of the same region as your serial, or the game won't accept your serial and thus won't let you go online.

Once you pass this initial check, though, the game won't ask you to verify your serial again for this character, so you can now play online using JPv2, USv2, or EUv2, regardless of which disc you used to create your character and go online for the first time.

BaffleBlend wrote:2. One-use only, turning used copies into coasters

No. The first time you play PSO, the serial is saved to the flash memory of your Dreamcast. Only characters with the same serial stored in their save file will load on that Dreamcast, unless you erase the flash memory and save a different serial to it. You can use your characters on an infinite number of Dreamcasts, but you must erase the flash memory on any new Dreamcast and save your serial to that Dreamcast's flash memory in order to make PSO accept your characters on that Dreamcast.

Jako wrote:I can registry on sylverant with a pso v1 key and keep playing the v2 backup?

You can register a unique V1 serial if you want to play V1, but you need to register a unique V2 serial to play V2. If you've already started a V2 character with a shared serial, the only way to switch over to using a unique serial is to delete your current character, erase the flash memory of your Dreamcast, save the new serial to the flash memory, and start a brand new character with the new serial. If you're not willing to restart, then you can't start using a unique serial now, so you can't participate in events. :cry:

The only workaround for this is to set up a second Dreamcast that you will use with your new serial and the characters created with that serial. Your new characters on the new Dreamcast will be able to participate in events, but the old characters on the old Dreamcast won't be able to participate. This also means your characters will have two different Guild Card numbers, so it will be harder for people to tell if you're online, since they have to search both of your Guild Cards, instead of only one.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#12 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks! Very clear and logic.
I will choice the option of get a v2 GD and start from the beginning again, have many dreamcast, but i prefer to use one at time.
By other way, i use dual bios, one with the original pal bios (very usefull) and the other ia a dreamshell boot loader, i need to investigate if i can put that code in that Dreamshell bios.
Thanks again! :-)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#13 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Hi all, Ill chime in and say that aleron's patched copy of the game includes a few bug fixes that sega missed. Thanks, aleron ;)

However, the caveat is, a burned copy can cause FSOD when players join your team.
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#14 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:05 am

everynewday84 wrote:However, the caveat is, a burned copy can cause FSOD when players join your team.

No, it can't. I defeated Sega's copy protection that was causing the FSODs on every CD-R copy of PSOv2 released in the past. My latest release no longer carries any FSOD risk (aside from the usual problem of your DC overheating, which can happen even if you use a GD-ROM ;)).

@ Jako

PSO is not compatible with DreamShell, so don't bother trying to set that up. The only way to play PSO off of an SD card is to buy a GDEMU to replace your GD-ROM drive entirely.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Kurasiu
fire

Post#15 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:11 am

I'm using Ives' release of PSOv2 (the patched/optimized one) on my GDEMU to play online, and everything works without any problems.

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#16 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:
@ Jako

PSO is not compatible with DreamShell, so don't bother trying to set that up. The only way to play PSO off of an SD card is to buy a GDEMU to replace your GD-ROM drive entirely.

It works, :-)
i play with last Dreamshell via sd very fine. I used the CDI image that is fixed with the correct server, burned into a cd, ripped that backup into a .iso with dreamcast and it works. Only some tiny lags during gameplay every 2 minutes, but music works well and loads are fast.
If you are refering to the code on the bios, true, the gdemu is the only way to use a original bios, but,
is not the same a normal bios + cd dreamshell bootloader + Load that .iso image?

Is for curiosity, thanks anyway for the fast reply! :-)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#17 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Jako wrote:It works, :-) i play with last Dreamshell via sd very fine.

Wait, what? DreamShell must have gotten some big improvements lately, because the last time I tried it, it would only boot PSOv1 with lots of bugs, and PSOv2 wouldn't boot at all.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#18 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:58 pm

DC-SWAT is doing a awesome work with dreamshell. You can see the results on a simple SD card.

Be proud of your awesome and optimized image Aleron Ives; -)
Thanks for it! :-)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#19 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:53 pm

He's certainly improved the compatibility of DreamShell a lot if it can boot PSOv2 now. Can you use Rafoie? Have you tried to walk inside the pillar in the Hunter's Guild? DreamShell used to cause the same problems with PSOv1 that Utopia does, so even though PSOv1 would boot, it wasn't playable (not to mention the stuttering).
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#20 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:05 am

Aleron Ives wrote: Can you use Rafoie? Have you tried to walk inside the pillar in the Hunter's Guild? DreamShell used to cause the same problems with PSOv1 that Utopia does, so even though PSOv1 would boot, it wasn't playable (not to mention the stuttering).

Yes i tried it and i can walk inside that pillar. With the cd dont happend.
How bad is this?
What part of guilt have the utopia or dreamshell loaders?

Is interesting to know why a "standard" loader can affect the inside of the gameplay and not only the boot of the disk or image. :-)