Removing dummy file(s) ..?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Removing dummy file(s) ..?

Post#1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Salutations

Not long ago I got nice 50 pack of mini CD-Rs . 210 meg

I've noticed with small releases and lil apps (like the lil Metal Gear emulator collection , now especially interested in Dreamcast.VM.Data.Issue-RDC) , they are huge filesize thanks to dummy data

How can I remove them ? I mount in Daemon Tools Lite that VM Data Issue , see DUMMY.DAT in root weighing 600+ megs . Metal Gear emulation compilation has Z directory with 000DUMMY.DAT in it that is 500+ megs

I don't feel the will to use up my shiny full-sized Taiyo Yudens on the little stuff all dummied up ={ Please assist

Also I've got IsoBuster .. can that make the adjustment ?

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Re: Removing dummy file(s) ..?

Post#2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Sometimes the dummy files give issues, but this should be what you're looking for
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8045
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:41 pm

mmm still need ta extract and re-compile ? I can't merge the two sessions after =\

That guide looks like adding rather , welp , still applies perhaps

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:57 pm

I was able to do this dummy removal from the Metal Gear emulation compilation (on another note why are there cool vids and mp3s in this but no player was included ?)

I just mounted the .cdi with Daemon Tools Lite , copied all the contents except dummy file to new folder , run BootDreams , browsed Selfboot folder for that new one and Process and all ready

Not sure why it added around 20 meg , but it did

VM Data Issue though that one won't work like this

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#5 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:11 am

If the size really comes from dummy data, just use 7-Zip to compress the CDI files before you burn them, and that should shrink the size of the dummy files to nothing without compromising the images.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Rightclick menu I couldn't see feature

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#7 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:54 am

The dummy files are there to make sure that the real data is placed on the outer space of the disc, as the Dreamcast reads the outer sections of the disc faster (12x) than the inner sections of the disc, so you will get faster loading and booting times.

Removing dummy files is nowadays more useful when using GDEMU or GDROM-USB since it's no longer needed and will save some space on the SD card/USB flash disk.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:20 pm

8-200 meg stuff I don't see the need for a whole CD-R o.0

I don't wish to spend my Taiyo Yudens ={ They got new ownership CMC

wolfpacleader1986
shadow

Post#9 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:14 am

Raen wrote:The dummy files are there to make sure that the real data is placed on the outer space of the disc, as the Dreamcast reads the outer sections of the disc faster (12x) than the inner sections of the disc, so you will get faster loading and booting times.

Removing dummy files is nowadays more useful when using GDEMU or GDROM-USB since it's no longer needed and will save some space on the SD card/USB flash disk.

How would I go about doing that since I plan on picking one up.....if MNEMO ever responds to my invoice request....