B.I.G. C. Update

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MrSega

Re: B.I.G. C. Update

Post by MrSega »

SegaNews wrote:MrSega and crusega, thanks for clearing that up!
I'm just not sure if I belive that prediction! But I will think about the possibility when more clues come in!

Your welcome, lets see where this rumor goes.
HowlingFear
fire

Post by HowlingFear »

Could anyone explain me what that B.I.G. C. means ? Any links, fotos, specs ?
Any related websites ? Who's gonna develop it ?
I mean if there was something real, it would probably pop up at dedicated websites. If it's something like EVO its not even worth the hype, I suppose.
HowlingFear
fire

Post by HowlingFear »

So far this is all that has been released to the public

Thats what I'm actually requesting.
stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

MrSega wrote:The 3DO was designed as a multimedia console by the 3DO Company who contracted Panosonic to be its sole licensor and manafacturer,what I mean is that like 3DO, JSN could be contracting SEGA to license & manufacture B.I.G. C!!! A 3rd party company contracting a 1st party to license thier machine!

The 3DO was marketed by the 3DO Company and had 4 hardware licencees who actually produced consoles, namely Panasonic, Goldstar (now LG), Samsung and Sanyo, AT&T also signed on to produce a version for the cable markets but it was never released. When the 3DO M2 was announced it was rumored that Phillips/Magnavox had also signed on.

In an interview for the 200th issue of Edge magazine, Trip Hawkins revealed that Sega was also in discussions to become a 3DO M2 licencee as well, but disagreements with Panasonic killed the deal. It was also widely reported in the media at the time that Sega felt that while the M2 chipset was fairly impressive, it was not going to be good enough for Sega to convert it's Model 3 arcade games on to.
MrSega

Post by MrSega »

HowlingFear wrote:Could anyone explain me what that B.I.G. C. means ? Any links, fotos, specs ?
Any related websites ? Who's gonna develop it ?
I mean if there was something real, it would probably pop up at dedicated websites. If it's something like EVO its not even worth the hype, I suppose.

Its all insider talk. We'll have to wait until SegaNews gets info.

And stu, what you just said was totally incorrect. SEGA & 3DO have NEVER done business with each other. In fact, 3DO did not suppprt Dreamcast.

This is what happened: In 1995, 3DO begin talks with Panosonic, Mitsubishi & Toshiba about developing a 3DO successor codenamed "M2" or "MX2" since a deal was never reached, the project was cancelled.
stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

MrSega wrote:[

And stu, what you just said was totally incorrect. SEGA & 3DO have NEVER done business with each other. In fact, 3DO did not suppprt Dreamcast.
This is what happened: In 1995, 3DO begin talks with Panosonic, Mitsubishi & Toshiba about developing a 3DO successor codenamed "M2" or "MX2" since a deal was never reached, the project was cancelled.

One thing you should learn about me MrSega is that I never post information without having my sources available. Something I don't like is someone calling me a liar. :x

Page 72 of Issue 200 of Edge.

Read it and weep. 8-)

Message to the Mods/Admins - Not sure if posting scans of magazines is
allowed on the forum , please delete attachment if it breaches forum rules.

Edit: Found a scan of an old issue of Edge/Next Generation magazine detailing Sega's interest in the 3DO M2 and have attached it too, have fun reading it :D
Attachments
M2 Sega deal 1.jpg
Trip M2 Sega.PDF
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by stu on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CruSega
Doom

Post by CruSega »

stu wrote:

One thing you should learn about me MrSega is that I never post information without having my sources available. Something I don't like is someone calling me a liar. :x

Read it and weep. 8-)

Message to the Mods/Admins - Not sure if posting scans of magazines is allowed on the forum , please delete attachment if it breaches forum rules.

I hope the mods don't have a problem, stu. The are lots of articles from magazines dating back to the late 80s I'd like to show here. Thanks for the scan, too. I guess Sega were moving in every direction at once back in those days.
CruSega
Doom

Post by CruSega »

stu wrote:

Read it and weep. 8-)

Message to the Mods/Admins - Not sure if posting scans of magazines is allowed on the forum , please delete attachment if it breaches forum rules.

I always found Next Generation aka Edga magazine to be very pro-Sony, remember Sega fans dubbing it Sony Power magazine for its Sony bias. :lol:
stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

CruSega wrote:I hope the mods don't have a problem, stu. The are lots of articles from magazines dating back to the late 80s I'd like to show here. Thanks for the scan, too. I guess Sega were moving in every direction at once back in those days.

Your welcome CruSega, I think at the time Sega was evaluating pretty much every technology in development, for their Saturn replacement.

They finally settled on Power VR2/Hitachi SH4 for the Dreamcast, as we all know.

Sega has a really facinating history, especially their console hardware division.

CruSega wrote:I always found Next Generation aka Edga magazine to be very pro-Sony, remember Sega fans dubbing it Sony Power magazine for its Sony bias.

HA they still do today, however their news/rumors section is gone and in my opinion the magazine is no where as good as it used to be as a result. One big Sony advert ..lol :lol:
CruSega
Doom

Post by CruSega »

stu wrote:
CruSega wrote:I hope the mods don't have a problem, stu. The are lots of articles from magazines dating back to the late 80s I'd like to show here. Thanks for the scan, too. I guess Sega were moving in every direction at once back in those days.

Your welcome CruSega, I think at the time Sega was evaluating pretty much every technology in development, for their Saturn replacement.

They finally settled on Power VR2/Hitachi SH4 for the Dreamcast, as we all know.

Sega has a really facinating history, especially their console hardware division.

CruSega wrote:I always found Next Generation aka Edga magazine to be very pro-Sony, remember Sega fans dubbing it Sony Power magazine for its Sony bias.

HA they still do today, however their news/rumors section is gone and in my opinion the magazine is no where as good as it used to be as a result. One big Sony advert ..lol :lol:

I remember that Sega were in talks with now-defunct 3DFX about Project Katana. When they went with Power-VR, 3DFX barked "Sega hasn't made a good decision in years". Ahh, the fond memories of 3DFX gaming in the late 90s, it was way better than the consoles at the time. The 3DFX version of Powerboat Racing made the PS1 version look like pong.