VALVE considering developing hardware

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MistaBuck
letterbomb

VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:25 am

I read something about it on gamespy (I can't link it b/c i'm on my 3DS' browser lol)

It was mostly about Half Life, but Gabe Newell did say a big thing about potentially going into some kind of hardware. He Didn't say anything specific, though.

If by hardware they mean a "video game console", than i'm all for it. I like what they're doing with steam, and would love to see what they can do with their own hardware. imo if any developer is in the shape for developing any console, it'd be Valve.

...That is, if this is any kind of indicator for a console from them.

PS: just a fyi, I still like Sega, but i'm not a "fanboy" anymore. I've gone back to my roots: Nintendo, and the Anime fandom. sorry brohams :(

I'll still post here though! XD
Natural Harmonia Gropius

MistaBuck
letterbomb

Re: VALVE considering developing hardware

Post#2 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 am

inb4mrsegamoaning
Natural Harmonia Gropius

HowlingFear
fire

Post#3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 am

I hope one day Half Life 3 will see the light of the day. Why not ? Even Duke Nukem Forever and Prey (that had been in development since 1995 and was released in 2008) made it to the release lol.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#4 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 pm

That's pretty interesting.. I doubt they'd do PC hardware. Maybe it is some kind of console? Hopefully they'd have someone with a lot of hardware know-how helping them design and manufacture everything. Microsoft hardware has never gone too well, and Valve has obviously always been software centric as well..

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#5 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Pfft Valve. I used to be such a big fan of their games but they can't get anything right lately IMO. I personally believe the reason they won't release Half Life 3 or talk about it is because of their new direction, 4 player co-op (/vomit). I fucking hate the way Valve pushes 4 player co-op and they do it in all of their games. My friends do not play video games and relying on strangers sucks so why am I forced to play a single player game with 3 unresponsive AI's following me around jumping in front of my bullets? Its bullshit and I couldn't be any more disappointed because I'm such a huge HL fan. Dota 2 sucks balls and I'm very worried the new engine they're undoubtedly working on is the one in use on Counter Strike G.O. and it looks like ass. If this is the case we will see this engine across 10+ years of crap new Valve games.
Sorry for the long rant, I've just never been more disappointed in a company before, especially since I used to love them so much :(

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#6 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:06 pm

By the way, If I had to guess it would be a streaming service console hybrid. Basically a big hard drive to store content on and check to make sure you aren't pirating and it would probably work through Steam so that they could do the exact same thing on the PC's and probably even feature cross "platform" gaming between PC and their hybrid console. I wouldn't be surprised one bit by this just from the little moves they've been making but if they could get decent support behind it it would be pretty cool. As much as I hate Valve's recent software, I love Steam!

MrSega

Post#7 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 pm

VALVE hardware would be a mixed bag. Similar to On-Live. It would be extremely niche as well as considering the fact that VALVE is very little known(I mean, Half Life 2 was released in like what, 2003?)

I see this probably something of a simple prototype or idea that I think will probably never see light of day.

Logic
core

Post#8 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 pm

MrSega wrote:VALVE hardware would be a mixed bag. Similar to On-Live. It would be extremely niche as well as considering the fact that VALVE is very little known(I mean, Half Life 2 was released in like what, 2003?)

I see this probably something of a simple prototype or idea that I think will probably never see light of day.

I'm calling this claim out.

Half-life 1998
Counter strike(2000) which may I remind you is still Alive and brimming.
Half-Life 2(2004)
Portal(2007)<---2008 game of the year at GDC, and several innovation awards
Team Fortress 2(2007)
Left4Dead(2008)<---best multiplayer of 2008 award
Left4Dead 2(2009)
Portal 2(2011)<---Ultimate game of the Year at the Golden joystick awards last year, #2 out of Time's top 10 games of 2011, At Spikes's it won Best Mutiplayer, Best PC, Best DLC, and both Best male/female performances

Upcoming are DOTA 2, and Counter strike Global Offensive.

On top of this, the majority of the gaming community knows that Valve operates Steam, the largest Digital distribution platform on the PC.

Valve is PLENTY known in the gaming community itself.
Freedoms:
1,2,3,4. The whole can benefit

MrSega

Post#9 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Logic wrote:
MrSega wrote:VALVE hardware would be a mixed bag. Similar to On-Live. It would be extremely niche as well as considering the fact that VALVE is very little known(I mean, Half Life 2 was released in like what, 2003?)

I'm calling this claim out.

Half-life 1998
Counter strike(2000) which may I remind you is still Alive and brimming.
Half-Life 2(2004)
Portal(2007)<---2008 game of the year at GDC, and several innovation awards
Team Fortress 2(2007)
Left4Dead(2008)<---best multiplayer of 2008 award
Left4Dead 2(2009)
Portal 2(2011)<---Ultimate game of the Year at the Golden joystick awards last year, #2 out of Time's top 10 games of 2011, At Spikes's it won Best Mutiplayer, Best PC, Best DLC, and both Best male/female performances

Upcoming are DOTA 2, and Counter strike Global Offensive.

On top of this, the majority of the gaming community knows that Valve operates Steam, the largest Digital distribution platform on the PC.

Valve is PLENTY known in the gaming community itself.

VALVE is a niche brand, mostly known to the PC gaming community. I remember Half-Life. But fact is, its being overshadowed by garbage like Modern Warfare.

VALVE would still remain niche, regardless if they launched a Steam based machine like On-Live.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#10 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:18 pm

And despite all the awards, Valve makes trash games now. Who gives a shit how much they pay IGN in advertising to give their products 10's, their games haven't been good since HL2. I do credit them for Steam though as it kicks ass but Valve has slowly been digging a bigger hole for themselves as far as software goes.