IMR GENESIS AUTO PORTER The GenesisLoader

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

FlorreW
Animated Violence
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 sometimes

Re: IMR GENESIS AUTO PORTER The GenesisLoader

Post by FlorreW »

Great work Ian :)

Image shown in GDEMU
genesisbootimage.jpg
genesisbootimage.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 4312 times
Title of game in GDEMU (Dont understand why there is a (1/2) tho)
1.jpg
And the "menu"
2.jpg
Changed the bg music to "Nu tar vi dom" (translates something like "We gonna take them/gonna win") that is a swedish song put together for the Swedish national hockeyteam in 1989 , a classic.
robinhoodie
rebel

Post by robinhoodie »

So I am really impressed with the tools here for mocking up a build of a game. Changing the menu is easy, and I am excited by what I am seeing with the Aleste prototype in terms of adding graphics to the transitions (I figure a company logo could go there for homebew devs / pubs).

My question would be, would there be a way to lock the options menu off from a user? Obviously there a lot of things to consider if doing so (SRAM saving would be out I believe). But could a dev say, set all the options for the emulator beforehand (especially the controller remappings) and have those saved while making the build. Basically further disguising the fact that the player is playing an emulator?

Obviously not a pressing concern but if you go further with development of these tools I imagine it will be something that comes up. Thank you for all you do.
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Post by OlivusPrime »

robinhoodie wrote:My question would be, would there be a way to lock the options menu off from a user? Obviously there a lot of things to consider if doing so (SRAM saving would be out I believe). But could a dev say, set all the options for the emulator beforehand (especially the controller remappings) and have those saved while making the build. Basically further disguising the fact that the player is playing an emulator?
I agree that this would be really useful if possible! Locking off the emulator menu would go a long way in making the port seem seamless (particularly if there's no reason for the player to access it in the first place), and it would be great to reassign button mappings in ways beyond what the default emulator layouts offer, for example mapping directional inputs to the analog stick.

EDIT: Also, while I understand your perspective on multiple ROMs using a standard emulator game list, it would be quite nice to be able to include multiple ROMs and take advantage of the menu system you've created - to create seamless multi-ROM ports such as the Phantasy Star and TMNT collections you created.
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

robinhoodie wrote:So I am really impressed with the tools here for mocking up a build of a game. Changing the menu is easy, and I am excited by what I am seeing with the Aleste prototype in terms of adding graphics to the transitions (I figure a company logo could go there for homebew devs / pubs).

My question would be, would there be a way to lock the options menu off from a user? Obviously there a lot of things to consider if doing so (SRAM saving would be out I believe). But could a dev say, set all the options for the emulator beforehand (especially the controller remappings) and have those saved while making the build. Basically further disguising the fact that the player is playing an emulator?

Obviously not a pressing concern but if you go further with development of these tools I imagine it will be something that comes up. Thank you for all you do.
Yes i could do all that when asked for a project genesis you have to go the menu not like it 's much of emulator menu need that for saving srm.Yes we can do all that if company asks wants a custom build with remapping and anything they want yes i can do it.. Right now it's first version prof of concept :) I will look into making it a ini that you just change. Far as analog making movement that feels very crappy to me on dc but each to his own if i make a setting you can chose what you want.. title port menu and going back to allows to reset the console or return to the gdemu.. Many of these solid indie games using emulators your bloody stuck with out a powercycle or have zero saving.. This not for multi rom's any one can take my tmnt collection menu or phantasy star collection menu and make there own using it right now for collections.
Point right now for the normal use to make a easy auto port of the game they want.

Big picture yes i can customize all of it including adding eye catch saving icons for the bios menu.
robinhoodie
rebel

Post by robinhoodie »

Amazing! Like I said, as a proof of concept, mind blowing. That even I, with no programing knowledge could mock up a build.Very empowering. An ini file would be perfect. From you video I completely understand not letting the users (Koalas) have access to all the deeper under pinnings of the the software. But the eternally odd situation of trying to map the Genesis controller to the DC controller struck me immediately in the test builds I did (One game automatically mapped the main action button to the top of the diamond instead of the bottom or even the left). I can absolutely see a dev wanting that just set this to their liking. OR maybe even doing a Dreamcast focused build of the rom where if there is customization it replaces the ABCXYZ icons of the Genesis with the ABXYLR icons of the DC. Can't wait to see what comes next.
FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post by FlorreW »

This may be offtopic , but does someone know if any of these games are fully supported (have someone played through/completed these games on the latest version of emulator)

Shinobi 3
Gunstar Heroes

Can anyone confirm if /or these works through all stages ?

Thanks in advance and sorry if its a bit offtopic <3
FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post by FlorreW »

I can confirm that Mutant League Hockey does not work, to bad , seems like a really fun game :)

Edit: If you want to test ->
Mega Drive - Mutant League Hocke.zip
(9.33 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
:D

Edit 2: Gunstar Heroes has glitches (unplayable) on the stage where you go up that enda on a plane.
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Post by OlivusPrime »

Ian Micheal wrote:Yes i could do all that when asked for a project genesis you have to go the menu not like it 's much of emulator menu need that for saving srm.Yes we can do all that if company asks wants a custom build with remapping and anything they want yes i can do it.. Right now it's first version prof of concept :) I will look into making it a ini that you just change. Far as analog making movement that feels very crappy to me on dc but each to his own if i make a setting you can chose what you want.. title port menu and going back to allows to reset the console or return to the gdemu.. Many of these solid indie games using emulators your bloody stuck with out a powercycle or have zero saving.. This not for multi rom's any one can take my tmnt collection menu or phantasy star collection menu and make there own using it right now for collections.
Point right now for the normal use to make a easy auto port of the game they want.

Big picture yes i can customize all of it including adding eye catch saving icons for the bios menu.
Amazing, thanks for all your hard work on this :) Looking forward to trying it out tonight!
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
ChuChu Rocket
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Maximum Pool
POD 2
Quake III
Racing Sim 2
Worms

Post by OlivusPrime »

Final question from me Ian - is there any way of disabling the menu effects? So disabling the static prior to the menu and the particle effects after starting the game? So that the menu acts more like a simple splash screen with logos/credits prior to booting the game. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm also having some trouble with the VMU image - whether I overwrite it in GIMP as you directed, or create it from scratch in GIMP with the same settings, it's coming out at 402 bytes instead of 386 bytes. This even happens when I overwrite the image unchanged using the original file. Any idea what it might be adding or any additional settings I need to look out for?
plorp
shadow

Post by plorp »

Ian, you have to stop making such cool stuff hahah. I see from other people that its just meant for single game only. Any plans to release a multigame equivalent? Id love to put together a streets of rage collection disc with all the crazy hacks of part 2 that are floating around nowdays.