The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Captain Dreamcast
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Everything... as soon as I've got that PC-DC server set up xD

Re: The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post by Captain Dreamcast »

Sorry for the late reply, I was busy fixing some of the weirder bugs. :mrgreen:

PhiseJr wrote:Well I wouldnt think the cel shading will have much effect on the graphics since it actually loading pictures? instead of actually processing graphics from an actual game. Am I right ?

You're right, as long as the engine is loading pictures, it doesn't matter wether it's loading cel-shaded characters turned to 2D sprites or a simple stickman. What I meant was that Tagging and Cel-Shaded graphics at the same time are very hard to implement. :?

PhiseJr wrote:My idea involves making a fighting game with Dreamcast Characters and titles but being that this is basically a Open Source engine and a Fan Based influenced game. this is the perfect opportunity to bring my idea to life. I wanted to make it a MVC or CVS2(excluding the grooves) style game play. I have a long list of characters from Dreamcast Exclusives. such as RYO, Red Ring Rico, Nightmare, Taki, Beat, Gum, Ryoma ... and the List goes on . But what Im going to do is lower the list to about 16- 20 characters. Most of the characters I mentioned most likely will be in the roster. I plan to have the game more team based since that's how a cross up should be. So im aiming more towards the CVS style play with one character losing then the next one comes out starting a new round.

Your game idea sounds pretty awesome! Seeing the Dreamcast allstars in a fighting crossover would be a dream come true. But aren't that many characters an incredible amount of work? Anyway, I'm looking forward to see some of your art! :D

Sadly, I can't really say wether the D-Engine supports changing characters between the rounds just yet. Theoretically, I have an idea on how it could be done in an easy way, but before I start working on such extravagant mods, I'd like to have the normal fighting working first. As anyone who has tried the Beta can confirm, that still needs a lot of work. :P

PhiseJr wrote:As far as the online Code goes Captain Dreamcast if you do look into it take a look at GGPO its a great client for online multiplayer which can be beneficial to the Dreamcast since most owners don't have a BBA and what the netcode does is apply the lag before the players inputs so they barely experience lag and latency issues, regardless of the distance. Im not sure if capcom has exclusive right to it though but then again this is an open source engine.

Thanks, when the time comes, I'll check it out! :)

One more thing if I decide to make all the characters in 16 colors will that benefit me on utilizing more of the gameplay and engine ?

Well, the only benefit would be that the frames would take up less space in memory, effectively allowing the engine to use more frames.
Based on my personal opinion, I do not see any reason why the 16-color mode should be used for characters. It is included mostly for Specials like Hadoukens or other fancy moves. ;)

Well hopefully I can get the characters to look as close to the originals as possible. And thank you I've always wanted to develop for the dreamcast But like i mentioned before my programming skills are.... wait who am i kidding I have none.

That's cool! You're the same as me there, I wanted to develop for the DC too... but have pretty much zero game designing skills. :cry:

Let me know whats your thoughts on the idea and what characters you would like to see but of course Dreamcast exclusives. and Captain DC if you like my sprite work maybe you and i can work on the SF vs MK sprites a game will always look better when the characters look like they are in the same game instead of sprites ripped from separate games. ^.^

Hum, some good characters to include in a crossover fighting games... Your list is already pretty perfect, the only others I seem to be able to come up with are Vyse from Skies of Arcadia, Jack Wade from Headhunter and Shadow Man from Shadow Man. Not sure if they'd look good in a fighter though! :lol:

And well, I could definitely need some help with the SF vs MK mod... ;)

Looking forward to seeing your sprite work, do you have something you could share with us so we can see the overall art direction of your sprites? I wonder what the cel-shaded chars look like in 2D! :P
For Great Justice!
PhiseJr
drunken sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None. My dreamcast is inactive I need to buy a VGA :-(

Post by PhiseJr »

Captain Dreamcast wrote:
Looking forward to seeing your sprite work, do you have something you could share with us so we can see the overall art direction of your sprites? I wonder what the cel-shaded chars look like in 2D! :P

Well SF4 is pretty much the idea of what im looking for. As far as the Artwork i dont have a scanner. So its gonna be hard for me to show the artwork. And the characters i listed wasnt the complete list. I did have the Idea for Wade but thanks about the Shadowman, I completely forgot about him.

I had the idea for Vyse, as well as Ryudo from Grandia 2. I would really like to get characters that can stand out and be unique not only from game to game, but also in style and play that also related to their original characteristics. Im still looking in as to i should do 12,16,20 or 24 characters. Maybe i should ask the community as to which characters They would like in a crossover.

As far as the Engine can do I'll make it all work. to the engine's restrictions. i forgot at one point that the engine is still in development and not complete. ^.^

hopefully you can get some online support That will be a great to our community.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto
PhiseJr
drunken sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None. My dreamcast is inactive I need to buy a VGA :-(

Post by PhiseJr »

I found some sprites from a Computer Game. built on flash called Capoeria Fighter I can try Convert them into the proper dimensions and Picture formats and try them on your engine. I'll See how it goes.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto
VasiliyRS
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Areana
Phantasy Star Online v2

Post by VasiliyRS »

I just finally have played it, i have loaded it off sd adapter , cdda was ripped out of course. No personages dissapeared like in the video above so i finished a match and won :) but i have several things to say: when fighter do leg kick it looks not smoothly and an anemy doesnt look smart enough. :)
Maturion
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online v2
Quake III Arena

Post by Maturion »

Great stuff, great stuff! I love it!!! :)
http://www.sega-dc.de - The home of Dreamcast (in German)
PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post by PhiseJr »

Where can I get the tools. Cause when I check the SourceForge I see so much. Is there a way to download them all ?
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto
Captain Dreamcast
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Everything... as soon as I've got that PC-DC server set up xD

Post by Captain Dreamcast »

First post since nearly a month, woot!

So guess who managed to crash his internet and is currently working with a public computer? Ha, oh well, as long as the discs inside the Dreamcast are still spinning, there's no need to give up! :mrgreen:

Cheesy Dreamcast patriotism aside, I have been fixing bugs left and right ever since the Beta release and I am 99% sure that I have gotten 99% of 'em. Sure, the one which turns the background into a garbled mess led me to rewrite nearly every single line of the whole code (also rendering the files on sourceforge obsolete), but it was well worth it, because now stable and doesn't crash every three seconds. :P

So in a way, what I have now is the Beta the way it was supposed to be one month ago... plus some neat new stuff. Guess it's about time for a new gameplay trailer, eh? :D

PhiseJr wrote:Where can I get the tools. Cause when I check the SourceForge I see so much. Is there a way to download them all ?

There are no tools yet. Sorry, the only tool on sourceforge is nothing more than a rough sketch and probably not even compatible anymore. To make things worse, none of my new shiny tools are stable and releasable yet. I'm afraid the best you can do right now is to prepare the sprites in their original format right now. :(
For Great Justice!
PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post by PhiseJr »

Captain Dreamcast wrote:First post since nearly a month, woot!

So guess who managed to crash his internet and is currently working with a public computer? Ha, oh well, as long as the discs inside the Dreamcast are still spinning, there's no need to give up! :mrgreen:

Cheesy Dreamcast patriotism aside, I have been fixing bugs left and right ever since the Beta release and I am 99% sure that I have gotten 99% of 'em. Sure, the one which turns the background into a garbled mess led me to rewrite nearly every single line of the whole code (also rendering the files on sourceforge obsolete), but it was well worth it, because now stable and doesn't crash every three seconds. :P

So in a way, what I have now is the Beta the way it was supposed to be one month ago... plus some neat new stuff. Guess it's about time for a new gameplay trailer, eh? :D

PhiseJr wrote:Where can I get the tools. Cause when I check the SourceForge I see so much. Is there a way to download them all ?

There are no tools yet. Sorry, the only tool on sourceforge is nothing more than a rough sketch and probably not even compatible anymore. To make things worse, none of my new shiny tools are stable and releasable yet. I'm afraid the best you can do right now is to prepare the sprites in their original format right now. :(

Yeah mainstream has released a whole lot of MVC3 Hype and all theses other Fighters. We need some Hype for the Dreamcast as always. Thanks again.

And as far as the tools good cause i was wondering all these files and such was getting me a bit confused.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto
esn23
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by esn23 »

wow this is exactly what i was looking for.. I have some questions on this I hope someone can help.. I am into mugen and create games and make games, characters and stages for mugen.. Only problem is mugen is only on computer.. I wanted something like this on the dreamcast. Im tying to make a very simple game.. Something a long the lines of street fighter 2 but with one super move.. I was wondering can you make your own title screen, vs screen, continue screen, stages etc..? Also my two big questions is there a tutorial on this? And I dont get what to download on sourceforge.. There is like 50 files and some of them just link me to a read me? Please could someone help.. If this cant be done with this engine is there anyting else out there that could do the trick i want to port my game on psp or dreamcast
PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post by PhiseJr »

esn23 wrote:wow this is exactly what i was looking for.. I have some questions on this I hope someone can help.. I am into mugen and create games and make games, characters and stages for mugen.. Only problem is mugen is only on computer.. I wanted something like this on the dreamcast. Im tying to make a very simple game.. Something a long the lines of street fighter 2 but with one super move.. I was wondering can you make your own title screen, vs screen, continue screen, stages etc..? Also my two big questions is there a tutorial on this? And I dont get what to download on sourceforge.. There is like 50 files and some of them just link me to a read me? Please could someone help.. If this cant be done with this engine is there anyting else out there that could do the trick i want to port my game on psp or dreamcast

Welcome to the forums! i too came to these forums cause of this Engine.

But Read through all the Post some of these questions a asked. and I'm Pretty sure the engine is open enough to do as you please as far as making a game. such as titles and stages. but there is a small stages problem right now. but as far as the engine goes its still in developement and its on the first build still. The files on the sourceforge is more code than tools. CaptainDC has yet to release them for development because theres still a few things need some work on.

But read through the Thread you'll find some usefull information. I Did.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto